What was the greatest date in world history?

  • Topic: History 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    History
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 8K views
Loren Booda
Messages
3,115
Reaction score
4
I asked my brother "What was the greatest date in world history?" He responded:

Well, if I had to pick one, certainly the most important date in recorded
history for most of the world would be May 29, 1453, the Fall of Constantinople.
Much more than just the conquest of the greatest city in the western world, and
the doom of an ancient empire, it also sealed off Europe from its trade sources
in the Far East. This forced enterprising explorers, initially from Portugal,
then from Spain, Holland, England, France and Russia, to make an "end-around" to
find alternate routes to those sources. This in turn led to the (re-)discovery
of the New World and a massive colonization push which substantially changed the
racial distribution of the world and caused huge growth in economic and cultural
exchange. Eventually this stimulated scientific inquiry as well.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd probably pick 0, as in Time = 0. I seem to remember, it started with a bang - a big one - a very big one. :biggrin:
 
The day Gutenberg started up his first press.
 
I guess it would be going from BC to AD, the zero year.
 
Some 10K years ago when we first learned agriculture.
 
I don't think so dude. The Emancipation Proclamation did not free any slaves. And it's hardly an event that shall be remembered for millennia.
 
And, you don't know much US history, do you, dude? The emancipation proclamation freed many slaves, but it occurred on January 1, 1863 not July 1, 1863.
 
March 13, 1964.

I'm just sayin'
 
DaveC426913 said:
March 13, 1964.

I'm just sayin'

The notorious incident where 38 of her neighbors in Queens, New York City fail to respond to the cries of Kitty Genovese, 28, as she is being stabbed to death?
 
Moridin said:
The notorious incident where 38 of her neighbors in Queens, New York City fail to respond to the cries of Kitty Genovese, 28, as she is being stabbed to death?
It wasn't their fault. They were distracted by a glorious light shining in the North.
 
DaveC426913 said:
March 13, 1964.

I'm just sayin'

Now that's arcane. Gotta love it, though. Makes me wanta toast your answer with a pony bottle of Rolling Rock.:cool:
 
TVP45 said:
And, you don't know much US history, do you, dude? The emancipation proclamation freed many slaves, but it occurred on January 1, 1863 not July 1, 1863.

TVP45, why is July 1, 1863, the greatest date in world history, because it was the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg?
 
If we go with people and birthdays then we have lists of influential people historians to examine. Thus we have, after Vanesch of course, Muhammand, Newton, and Jesus Christ as the most influential historical figures of all time, in that order.
Michael Hart's list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100
I'm personally inclined to elevate the historical Jesus to the top as I mainly credit his philosophy as the origin of the rights and worth of the individual; no such philosophy then no democracy, etc. So: 7 BC or there abouts.
 
Loren Booda said:
I asked my brother "What was the greatest date in world history?" He responded:

Well, if I had to pick one, certainly the most important date in recorded
history for most of the world would be May 29, 1453, the Fall of Constantinople.
Actually, that's according to the Julian calendar.
According to the Gregorian calendar, it happened on the 14th of June, and since that's my birthday, I happen to agree with you. :smile:
 
Adam and Eve's first night out together seems to have had lasting effects.
Unfortunately they didn't post the video on uTube so we can't say how great it was.