What Was the Initial Energy of the Universe: Planck Energy or Singularity?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter liometopum
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
liometopum
Messages
126
Reaction score
24
I am wondering what people here think the initial energy of the universe was.

The Planck energy? Implies a finite amount of energy
A Singularity? This implies an infinite amount of energy.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks Bandersnatch. I'd thought of listing that too, but it was my impression that at the moment the expansion started that at least a little something was there. My post was purposely vague though and left that idea fully available.
The initial singularity is often described as being of infinite energy and matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_singularity
Infinite is infinite... it would not be a universe from nothing, if there was a singularity of infinite energy at the moment expansion started; all the energy is already there. I have heard lecturers state the universe started with a small amount of energy, quite contrary to an infinite amount. With two extremes, I wanted to hear input from forum members.
I guess I should define the starting condition I am thinking of, and that is the start of expansion.
 
liometopum said:
I am wondering what people here think the initial energy of the universe was.
Actually, there isn't an unambiguous answer to this question: global energy is not a well-defined quantity in General Relativity. Either way, the answer is probably somewhere between small and zero, depending upon how you define the global energy.