What was the role of Hawking Radiation in the early universe?

In summary: No, this is not correct, for at least two reasons. First, what happened at the end of inflation was not "creation of energy"; it was just a transfer of energy from the inflaton field to the fields described by the Standard Model of particle physics (quarks, electrons, neutrinos, etc.), caused by the inflaton field changing state from the "false vacuum" state it had during inflation, to the "true vacuum" state it has had ever since. Second, this energy transfer process (which is called "reheating" in cosmology, something of a misnomer since there was no previous "heating" of anything) was not Hawking radiation and bears no resemblance to it.
big_bounce
Amount of Planck energy is 1.956 * 10^9 J.
Was this total energy of universe at plank time at big bang cosmology model?
It's clear this amount of energy is not enough for making our solar system, even it's not enough for making mass of me ( 60 kg ).
Should we postulate energy increase in the universe after Planck time?

If yes, how could? by means quantum tunneling? inflation?

Space news on Phys.org
big_bounce said:
Amount of Planck energy is 1.956 * 10^9 J.
Is this total energy of universe at plank time at big bang cosmology model?

No, it's just the unit of energy you get when you set the constants G, ћ and c to 1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_energy

big_bounce said:
If mass of universe was more than Planck mass, the temperature of universe couldn't be 10^32 K.

Why not?

Drakkith said:
Why not?
Because c and k are constant in this formula.
28h1vv8.png

How does that compare to the Planck temperature? A leading question, I admit.

big_bounce said:
Because c and k are constant in this formula.
28h1vv8.png

And how does that tell us that the mass of the universe at Planck time couldn't be more than the Planck mass?

Drakkith said:
And how does that tell us that the mass of the universe at Planck time couldn't be more than the Planck mass?

If i put my mass (60 kg) at this formula we don't get 1032K.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi63.tinypic.com%2F28h1vv8.png

big_bounce said:
If i put my mass (60 kg) at this formula we don't get 1032K.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi63.tinypic.com%2F28h1vv8.png
Of course you don't. That's not how you use the equation. Unfortunately you'll have to look into how temperature is defined in order to see why the equation is set up the way it is (or wait for someone with more knowledge than myself to explain it).

big_bounce said:
If i put my mass (60 kg) at this formula we don't get 1032 K.

Temperature is not the total energy; it's the average energy per particle. If you have 60 kg worth of particles each one of which has the Planck energy, then the temperature of the whole system is the Planck temperature.

Last edited:
My understanding of the early universe is that most of the energy of the universe was created by Hawking Radiation during inflation, not the instant of creation.

newjerseyrunner said:
My understanding of the early universe is that most of the energy of the universe was created by Hawking Radiation during inflation, not the instant of creation.

This sounds wrong to me for a variety of reasons. Energy is locally (but not globally) conserved, so we don't have processes that create energy. There is no "instant of creation," since GR doesn't describe a singularity as a point on the spacetime manifold.

Likes newjerseyrunner
newjerseyrunner said:
My understanding of the early universe is that most of the energy of the universe was created by Hawking Radiation during inflation

No, this is not correct, for at least two reasons. First, what happened at the end of inflation was not "creation of energy"; it was just a transfer of energy from the inflaton field to the fields described by the Standard Model of particle physics (quarks, electrons, neutrinos, etc.), caused by the inflaton field changing state from the "false vacuum" state it had during inflation, to the "true vacuum" state it has had ever since. Second, this energy transfer process (which is called "reheating" in cosmology, something of a misnomer since there was no previous "heating" of anything) was not Hawking radiation and bears no resemblance to it.

Likes Drakkith and bcrowell

1. What is total energy at Planck time?

Total energy at Planck time refers to the amount of energy present in the universe at the very beginning of its existence. This is a hypothetical concept based on the Planck scale, which is the smallest possible unit of measurement in physics.

2. Why is total energy at Planck time significant?

Total energy at Planck time is significant because it can help us understand the fundamental principles and laws of the universe. It can also provide insights into the origins of the universe and the nature of space and time.

3. How is total energy at Planck time calculated?

Total energy at Planck time is currently a theoretical concept and cannot be directly measured or calculated. However, it is estimated through complex mathematical equations and models based on our current understanding of physics.

4. What is the relationship between total energy at Planck time and the Big Bang?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity with infinite density and temperature. Total energy at Planck time is thought to be the maximum amount of energy present at this singularity. Therefore, understanding the total energy at Planck time can help us better understand the Big Bang and the early stages of the universe's evolution.

5. Can the total energy at Planck time change?

Since total energy at Planck time is a theoretical concept, it is not a measurable quantity and cannot be changed. However, our understanding of it may change as our understanding of physics and the universe evolves through further research and discoveries.