Amount of Plasma [g] in nuclear fusion designs

In summary, the typical mass of plasma in current nuclear fusion reactor designs is very small. The plasma volume in the ITER design is only 840 cubic meters, which would amount to 1071 kg of air in the event of a containment breach. However, the amount of plasma is so small that even in the case of a complete containment loss, the total energy released would only cause minor damage to the reactor. This is due to the design of fusion reactors, which have built-in emergency off buttons and would immediately halt the reaction if there is any significant change in the internal conditions.
Thomas Sturm
TL;DR Summary
What is the typical mass of the plasma (in typical working configuration) in current nuclear fusion reactor designs?
Hi everyone,
I am trying to figure out the following question:
What is the typical mass of the plasma (in typical working configuration) in current nuclear fusion reactor designs?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER: "...plasma volume of 840 cubic meters..."
So all I need is the plasma density. Enter the "Lawson criterion" and the "triple product"...all very interesting reads, but I couldn't find any values for, let's say: Wendelstein, ITER and a "commercially viable fusion reactor".

Reason why I'm asking: I strongly suspect the actual "working mass" of plasma in a fusion reactor to be really low as compared to, say, the amount of Uranium in a fission reactor. 840 m^3 filled with air would amount to 1071 kg. This is the amount of air roughly rushing into the core of a fusion reactor (ITER type) if push comes to shove and the core containment breaks. Very, very cold air, and lots of it, seems to be the perfect "emergency off" button build into the very design of fusion reactors - as opposed to fission reactors, two of which (in Tchernobyl and Fukushima) are currently on their (slow, but steady) way towards the center of the planet.
If m(plasma) << m(air), a "Super-Accident" in a fusion plant would be a fly's burp as compared to the same mishap in a fission reactor. Or am I completely wrong somewhere?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the exact plasma density, but I know that you are correct in your understanding that the amount of plasma is very, very small. The total energy released by the plasma in the event of complete containment loss would perhaps scorch the inside of the reactor and damage some sensors. That's it.

Thomas Sturm said:
840 m^3 filled with air would amount to 1071 kg. This is the amount of air roughly rushing into the core of a fusion reactor (ITER type) if push comes to shove and the core containment breaks. Very, very cold air, and lots of it, seems to be the perfect "emergency off" button build into the very design of fusion reactors

That's not even necessary to be honest. Any significant change in the reactor's internal conditions away from just what it needs to sustain fusion would immediately halt the reaction. You could literally just hit a big red button to turn the power off to the electromagnets and all you'd get is what I wrote above. Some light damage to the internal surface of the reactor and some damaged sensors.

1. What is plasma and why is it important in nuclear fusion designs?

Plasma is the fourth state of matter, consisting of ionized gas particles that are highly energetic and electrically charged. It is important in nuclear fusion designs because it is the fuel that undergoes fusion reactions, releasing large amounts of energy.

2. How is the amount of plasma measured in nuclear fusion designs?

The amount of plasma in nuclear fusion designs is measured in grams (g) through the use of diagnostic tools such as spectroscopy and interferometry. These techniques allow scientists to determine the density and temperature of the plasma, which are crucial factors in the success of fusion reactions.

3. What is the optimal amount of plasma needed for a successful nuclear fusion reaction?

The optimal amount of plasma needed for a successful nuclear fusion reaction varies depending on the specific design and conditions. Generally, a higher amount of plasma is desired to increase the chances of fusion reactions occurring, but too much plasma can also lead to instabilities and disruptions in the fusion process.

4. How does the amount of plasma affect the efficiency of nuclear fusion reactions?

The amount of plasma plays a significant role in the efficiency of nuclear fusion reactions. A higher amount of plasma can lead to a higher rate of fusion reactions and therefore, a more efficient energy production. However, managing and controlling the amount of plasma is crucial in maintaining stability and preventing instabilities that can decrease efficiency.

5. What are the challenges in controlling and maintaining the amount of plasma in nuclear fusion designs?

Controlling and maintaining the amount of plasma in nuclear fusion designs is a major challenge for scientists. Plasma is a highly dynamic and complex system that is affected by various factors such as temperature, density, and magnetic fields. Additionally, instabilities and disruptions can occur, making it difficult to maintain a stable and optimal amount of plasma for fusion reactions.