What weird foods do you eat? (revisited)

• Thread starter Ouabache
  • Start date
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Urchin gonads(uni).

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-items/itemimages/uni1.jpg [Broken]

The pinnacle of sushidom in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As a kid I loved peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.

Also, baker's chocolate. How many people had mom slip them baker's chocolate without a warning?

I love tripe and chorizo

Have tried Emu, Buffalo, turtle.

On my first day on-site in Peru, I was served dessert after lunch. While the portions for lunch were pretty small pieces of some very tough meat [only the factory managers and guests got meat, and I don't think it was beef], the dessert was a respectably-sized piece of white cake with white icing, I thought - that is exactly what it looked like. But when I took a bite, I had a mouth full of cold mashed potatoes. :grumpy: Needless to say, I ate at the hotel after that.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I agree that ostrich is very tasty. Uni is really yummy too, but you have to go to the right place, or it can be nasty if it isn't really, really, really fresh. Then again, I love any and all kinds of sushi.

I can't think of anything too weird that I've eaten though. Maybe other people would consider something I've eaten weird, but I've so far avoided things like bugs and parts of animals that can taste back. I do eat the green part out of lobster, which is very sweet, but haven't even had a lobster in ages...but that's probably something other people would consider weird.

gel
At one time or another I have surrounded the following:
Puffer fish (fugu)
uurrgh. Wouldn't go near fugu, after watching how they prepare it on TV.

Tried alligator though, nothing special. Also sea urchins freshly scooped out of the sea by some Frenchmen when I was on a holiday once when I was a kid (was disgusting).

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hot Dogs
Ramen Noodles
McDonalds
Burger King
Popeyes
KFC

:rofl:

...know I've mentioned it before, but a *particularly* horrific KFC "meal" inspired my daughter to turn vegan for a year...:eek:...she's since recovered.

Oh and if you ever want to know what it's like to eat about six weeks' worth of salt in one sitting, you need to try Popeye's Red Beans and Rice.

I've eaten tripe, didn't like it.

I'll say the same here. I'm an adventurous eater, and there are only two things thus far that I've eaten and wouldn't eat again... tripe is one (nasty!). The second is yak meat (in some form of curry)... not for the flavor but for the extremely bad after effect (the worst gas ever).

Maybe I have not had the same tripe as you guys, but the tripe in a bowl of PHO soup is really good.

vietcali07.JPG

Maybe because this is cut up, the texture and tastes is different than just tripe by itself?

turbo
Gold Member
I do eat the green part out of lobster, which is very sweet, but haven't even had a lobster in ages...but that's probably something other people would consider weird.
Other people who are not from Maine, perhaps. The tomalley is quite flavorful, and I like to save it out and mix it with mayonnaise and lobster meat when making lobster rolls. You should avoid eating it if the area has recently been hit with Red Tide though, because toxins can accumulate in the "green stuff" which acts as both the liver and pancreas of the lobster. I once attended a lobster-bake put on by a vendor who did business with my company, and for some reason, a woman co-worker and her husband wanted the claws and would trade the bodies and tails for them. My wife and I were very happy to comply.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When I was a kid I loved menudo, but tripe tacos were still a wonderful surprise. Mmmmmmm. However, eating cold tripe with Italian dressing might be another matter.