What were the causes of Gary Coleman's death?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
Biology news on Phys.org
I was so sad to hear this. Gary used to live near me and was part of our merry crew back in the old days. He was a sweet guy.
 
Math Is Hard said:
I was so sad to hear this. Gary used to live near me and was part of our merry crew back in the old days. He was a sweet guy.

Merry crew? Did you work with Robinhood? :biggrin:

What was this? Do you mean that you were friends as kids? Whatcha talkin bout Willis?
 
Last edited:
Is it related to his short stature? Was he actually a dwarf or just very very short?
 
I thought Gary Coleman was Webster for a very long time. I was too young for Different Strokes. Coleman wasn't a dwarf, he had some kidney problem apparently. I don't know what was wrong with Emmanuel Lewis.
 
Coleman had lifelong medical problems related to a kidney problem.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/05/28/coleman.kidney.troubles/?hpt=Sbin
(CNN) -- Actor Gary Coleman battled major medical problems including an on-set seizure, several operations, transplants and a lifelong kidney condition.

The 42-year-old former child star died Friday after life support was withdrawn in a Utah hospital.

A kidney condition stunted his growth, leaving him at 4 feet, 8 inches throughout his adulthood. Three months ago, Coleman was hospitalized after suffering a seizure while being interviewed on a TV show in Los Angeles, California.

On Wednesday evening, he fell ill at his Santaquin, Utah, home, according to a hospital statement. He suffered an intracranial hemorrhage . . . .
Human blood is essentially toxic to brain cells. Brain hemorrhages cause brain damage via cell necrosis.

I remember hearing about his medical problems back in the 80's.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Merry crew? Did you work with Robinhood? :biggrin:

What was this? Do you mean that you were friends as kids? Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

This was back in the mid-90s. We used to visit the same watering hole. (Not that Gary drank, he always had to watch out for his health).
 
Poor guy, didn't he have a terrible battle with his parents over his money?
 
Astronuc said:
Coleman had lifelong medical problems related to a kidney problem.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/05/28/coleman.kidney.troubles/?hpt=Sbin Human blood is essentially toxic to brain cells. Brain hemorrhages cause brain damage via cell necrosis.

I remember hearing about his medical problems back in the 80's.
It mainly causes swelling of the brain (cerebral edema) with devastating results: intracranial hemorrhages have a high morbidity and mortality rate.