What were vaudeville theaters and why did they disappear?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Smurf
Messages
497
Reaction score
3
Help!
I need to do a presentation on Vaudevilles and I don't even know what they are except they were around in north america in the 20s and now they're gone.. Oh and apparently they were really pretty!

Resources anyone?
Life Experience?
In Depth Knowledge?

Edit: Ooops wrong subforum, can't move it myself, guess its up to the admins.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
vaudeville:

Light entertainment popular in the U.S. in the late 19th and early 20th century.

It consisted of 10-15 unrelated acts featuring magicians, acrobats, comedians, trained animals, singers, and dancers. The form developed from the coarse variety shows held in beer halls for a primarily male audience. Tony Pastor established a successful "clean variety show" at his New York theater in 1881 and influenced other managers to follow suit. By 1900 chains of vaudeville theaters around the country included Martin Beck's Orpheum Circuit, of which New York's Palace Theater was the most famous (1913-32). Among the many entertainers who began in vaudeville were Mae West, W. C. Fields, Will Rogers, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, the Marx Brothers, Berenice Abbott and Lou Costello, Milton Berle, and Bob Hope. See also music hall and variety.

Need More? Upgrade to the complete Encyclopædia Britannica
© 2002 Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.

If you're looking for something as simple as the definition of a term and historical information, why not consult your nearest (full version) encyclopaedia or "Google" it?

And what did you mean by "really pretty". The performance?

:confused:
 
I have of course been laregly unsuccessfull in googling it, what I do have now might be enough to scrape by on but I was hoping someone might have experience or something with it.