Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What will you do now that Obama is president?

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    Obama is counting on you to help him fix our problems. What will you do to help him face these challenges?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm going to be aware of the fact that the economy is cyclical and help him watch it fix itself.

4. Jan 20, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have resolved not to run a multi-billion $ hedge fun scam.
    - now just excuse me, I have to go and put down the powder that keeps the elephants off the street.

5. Jan 20, 2009 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it will fix itself with $700 billion of taxpayer money.

Obviously this is why you were worried when Obama won. Don't matter.

6. Jan 20, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That had nothing to do with it. It is cyclical.

Sending half a trillion a year to foreign oil suppliers has no effect either. None of it matters. Haven't you been paying attention?

7. Jan 20, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I will do the same things that I've always done. Nice to have a President who intends to help for a change.

8. Jan 21, 2009 #7
    Nothing is going to fix itself. And the economy isn't just acting cyclically. The financial sector of the U.S. accounts for around 30 something percent G.D.P. while manufacturing accounts for a mere 13. What the hell do we make? Debt?

Education is just insanely stupid. With all the kids afraid of science and math degrees and instead going into accounting, law, and other overcrowded fields.

Anyway for the question. I hope he starts to get kids more interested in science and make it a priority. Get us back on a competitive field in that department. Increase government spending on research at Universities. Reform the tax code and start cracking down on the loop holes, or increase it for the rich.

I plan to pursue my studies in Biochemistry, with a focus on genetics and help through my work.

9. Jan 21, 2009 #8
    Maybe I should rephrase the question to: Has obama inspired you to do anything extra, or other, than what you would have done otherwise? And if so, what? Also, if anyone could come up with options. What could a normal person do?

I actually think that many young people are being inspired to get an education and take school seriously, so that is good. Especially with African American children. I think they will see how loved and respected Obama is, and they may want to be like him rather than the other role models, pimps and gangsters.

10. Jan 21, 2009 #9
    I'm going to focus on making less than $250K so I won't be dinged by the tax man when I buy the business I work for:wink:

11. Jan 21, 2009 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There were/are several things that worry me about him and that is one of them (and his bailout is more than $700 B - it's $825 B on top of Bush's $700 B bailout http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/16/cantor.stimulus/ ). So perhaps I should add a qualifier:

I'm going to be aware of the fact that the economy is cyclical and help him watch it fix itself and hope he doesn't do anything to stand in the way.

12. Jan 21, 2009 #11

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Not to worry Russ. This is merely the opportunity to go ahead and socialize medical systems and get on with wealth redistribution so everyone can enjoy the fruits of freedom.

13. Jan 21, 2009 #12
    Obama has inspired me to renew my subscription to the NRA and give my wife an associate membership. Also, he has inspired me to buy another assault rifle (.308 cal). Hopefully his stimulus package will help fund it.

14. Jan 21, 2009 #13

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Be sure and register your weapons. Homeland Security will be by to collect them in the event of any civil distress.

15. Jan 21, 2009 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, assault rifles will be OK but they will be around to confiscate any nail clippers and water bottles > 4oz

16. Jan 21, 2009 #15
    I will continue my campaign against this country's future downfall: massive entitlement spending which we cannot afford.

17. Jan 21, 2009 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member

He said we needed a change.

Last night, I ousted my mouses from my houses.

It was not my fault. They jumped up my sleeve.

18. Jan 21, 2009 #17
    If the economy is purely cyclical then why do we have economic policies to begin with? It wouldn't matter anyways since it would have no effect on the economy if it was purely cyclical as you are stating.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?