1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What word can you use to describe a "set with repeated elements"

  1. Sep 11, 2014 #1
    The reason I have that in quotes is because by definition, elements in a set must be unique, and there is no concept of repeated elements. I was just wondering if there is a word to describe such an object - namely, a collection of "items" (or whatever you'd like to call them), where you might have repeated elements. Example : {2,2,5,1,4}. What word could I use to describe this?

    Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2

    Stephen Tashi

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Try "multiset"
  4. Sep 12, 2014 #3
    Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for!
  5. Sep 12, 2014 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Usually a set is distinguished by its elements alone, so , e.g., {2,2}={2}={2,2,2}, etc. If you want to distinguish different copies of an element, you can write something like {2,2'} or something similar.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook