What word can you use to describe a "set with repeated elements"

• Thread starter fleazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, a "multiset" is a collection of items where repeated elements are allowed. It is different from a traditional set, where elements must be unique. This term can be used to describe a collection such as {2,2,5,1,4}, where the element 2 appears more than once. Other ways to distinguish repeated elements include using primes or other symbols to differentiate them.
fleazo
The reason I have that in quotes is because by definition, elements in a set must be unique, and there is no concept of repeated elements. I was just wondering if there is a word to describe such an object - namely, a collection of "items" (or whatever you'd like to call them), where you might have repeated elements. Example : {2,2,5,1,4}. What word could I use to describe this?

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try "multiset"

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for!

Usually a set is distinguished by its elements alone, so , e.g., {2,2}={2}={2,2,2}, etc. If you want to distinguish different copies of an element, you can write something like {2,2'} or something similar.

for your question. In mathematics, a set with repeated elements is often referred to as a multiset or a bag. A multiset is similar to a set in that it is a collection of distinct elements, but it allows for repeated elements. The term "bag" is also sometimes used to describe this type of collection, as it allows for duplicates just like a bag can hold multiple copies of the same item. So, in your example, the collection {2,2,5,1,4} could be called a multiset or a bag. I hope this helps clarify the terminology for you.

1. What is a set with repeated elements?

A set with repeated elements is a collection of objects or numbers where the same element appears more than once. For example, the set {1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4} has repeated elements because 2 and 3 appear multiple times.

2. What is the mathematical term for a set with repeated elements?

The mathematical term for a set with repeated elements is a multiset. A multiset is similar to a set, but it allows for duplicate elements.

3. Can a set have repeated elements?

No, by definition, a set cannot have repeated elements. Sets only contain unique elements, so if an element already exists in a set, it cannot be added again.

4. How do you represent a set with repeated elements?

A set with repeated elements can be represented using curly braces and listing the elements, just like a regular set. However, to indicate that the set contains repeated elements, we can use a subscript notation. For example, {a1, a2, a2, a3} represents a multiset with the elements a1, a2, a2, and a3.

5. What is the difference between a set and a multiset?

The main difference between a set and a multiset is that a set only contains unique elements, while a multiset can have repeated elements. Additionally, sets are used in mathematical and statistical contexts, while multisets are more commonly used in computer science and data analysis.