What would be the fifth dimensional property of a Tesseract?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter avemt1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Property Tesseract
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 10K views
I'm sorry. I can see the mathematics behind it, but I just can't buy that anything in this universe could physically be only one dimension, let alone two dimensions. I mean we live in a world that depends on 3-D...


BTW, anyone have any feedback on my +3 dimensional "visualization" idea?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Right now you have 3 dimension note that they are all part of the electromagnetic spectrum; are you prepared to accept that each force has its own spectrum?
 
Originally posted by elas
Right now you have 3 dimension note that they are all part of the electromagnetic spectrum; are you prepared to accept that each force has its own spectrum?
I don't know!
I'll just be quiet now.
...wait. Maybe I understand this. By that do you mean that we perceive 3-dimensions because of light?
 
I'm sorry. I can see the mathematics behind it, but I just can't buy that anything in this universe could physically be only one dimension, let alone two dimensions. I mean we live in a world that depends on 3-D...
The only reason we see 3-d is that we have two eyes, but if we had one wew would only see 2-d. Better yet, if we had three eyes we would probably see 4-d.
 
But even if we had one eye, we could deduce through observation that a "2-d" object that we perceive to be as such, has length, width, and depth.
 
But even if we had one eye, we could deduce through observation that a "2-d" object that we perceive to be as such, has length, width, and depth.
yes, that is where we get string theory.