What would be the fifth dimensional property of a Tesseract?

  • Thread starter avemt1
  • Start date
  • #26
mouseman
You're right. My bad.
 
  • #27
93
0
Here's another question. If 4+ dimentions are physically manifest, we should be able to go backwards and say that 2 dimentions are physically manifest as well, right? So show me something that is physically and exactly 2 dimentions...
There is nothing physicsally manifest that is 2-dimensional. Dimensional models are only used to explain the properties of the world around us.
 
  • #28
3,762
2
Originally posted by avemt1
There is nothing physicsally manifest that is 2-dimensional. Dimensional models are only used to explain the properties of the world around us.
Well, that may be your opinion (and you are entitled to it), but string theory heartily disagrees with you.
 
  • #29
(Q)
143
0
Mentat

Well, that may be your opinion (and you are entitled to it), but string theory heartily disagrees with you.

Please, explain exactly how string theory disagrees. Show the math if it will help your explanation.
 
  • #30
3,762
2
Originally posted by (Q)
Mentat

Well, that may be your opinion (and you are entitled to it), but string theory heartily disagrees with you.

Please, explain exactly how string theory disagrees. Show the math if it will help your explanation.
Well, sting theory postulates the existence of one-dimensional strings, and two-dimensional membranes. These have physical existence (according to the theory).
 
  • #31
mouseman
I'm sorry. I can see the mathematics behind it, but I just can't buy that anything in this universe could physically be only one dimension, let alone two dimensions. I mean we live in a world that depends on 3-D...


BTW, anyone have any feedback on my +3 dimensional "visualization" idea?
 
  • #32
elas
Right now you have 3 dimension note that they are all part of the electromagnetic spectrum; are you prepared to accept that each force has its own spectrum?
 
  • #33
mouseman
Originally posted by elas
Right now you have 3 dimension note that they are all part of the electromagnetic spectrum; are you prepared to accept that each force has its own spectrum?
I don't know!
I'll just be quiet now.
...wait. Maybe I understand this. By that do you mean that we perceive 3-dimensions because of light?
 
  • #34
93
0
I'm sorry. I can see the mathematics behind it, but I just can't buy that anything in this universe could physically be only one dimension, let alone two dimensions. I mean we live in a world that depends on 3-D...
The only reason we see 3-d is that we have two eyes, but if we had one wew would only see 2-d. Better yet, if we had three eyes we would probably see 4-d.
 
  • #35
mouseman
But even if we had one eye, we could deduce through observation that a "2-d" object that we perceive to be as such, has length, width, and depth.
 
  • #36
93
0
But even if we had one eye, we could deduce through observation that a "2-d" object that we perceive to be as such, has length, width, and depth.
yes, that is where we get string theory.
 

Related Threads on What would be the fifth dimensional property of a Tesseract?

  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
2K
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
6K
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
3K
  • Last Post
4
Replies
88
Views
9K
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
42
Views
7K
Top