What would happen if a big superfluid cloud eclipses the Sun?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a superfluid cloud the size of the Moon in front of the Sun during a total eclipse, and questions the effects on the light coming from the Sun during this time. The conversation also touches on the possibility of the center of the Sun being in a superfluid state and the scientific evidence for this. The estimated time for a photon to propagate from the center of the Sun to the outside is also mentioned, with a range of 10,000 to 170,000 years. The conversation ends with a reminder to stick to known scientific understanding and a comparison of discussing unicorns.
Juanma
Imagine a big superfluid cloud the size of the Moon, at the same distance of the Moon in front of the Sun. A total eclipse of 7 minutes.
What would happen with the light coming from the sun during these 7 minutes?
Would we see a "night sun"?

Another question.
"Estimates of the photon travel time range between 10,000 and 170,000 years"
Could the center of the sun be in a superfluid state? Cold?

Physics news on Phys.org
and what scientific evidence to you base the existence of some superfluid ?

Please try and keep within known scientific understanding,

Estimates of the photon travel time range between 10,000 and 170,000 years"

from where to where ?

it does take light 150,000 - 170,000 to get to us from with the Large or Small Magellanic Clouds ... ie. they are ~ 160,000 light years from us

Dave

davenn said:
from where to where ?

I think he's talking about the time for a photon to propagate from the center of the sun to the outside, which I believe is normally taken as about 100,000 years.

davenn said:
and what scientific evidence to you base the existence of some superfluid ?

Please try and keep within known scientific understanding,

Superfluid is a state of matter. I just said "imagine" because I´m curious about the effect that we will perceive.

davenn said:
from where to where ?

From the center of the sun to the outside.

Juanma said:
... I just said "imagine" because I´m curious about the effect that we will perceive.

That's a lot like asking "If unicorns existed, would their horns be long or short?" Not really the kind of thing this forum is big on. We're more into discussion of established science.

Superfluids don't affect light in any special ways that I know of.

phinds said:
I think he's talking about the time for a photon to propagate from the center of the sun to the outside, which I believe is normally taken as about 100,000 years.
Considering how many times that energy is absorbed, re-emitted, absorbed again, transferred in collisions, carried by convection, and so on, do you really think it's fair to say that it's time it takes a photon to propagate?

K^2 said:
Considering how many times that energy is absorbed, re-emitted, absorbed again, transferred in collisions, carried by convection, and so on, do you really think it's fair to say that it's time it takes a photon to propagate?

I am just repeating what I have read about this. Propogate may be a poor choice of words for the process, but I don't know a better one. I certainly do not mean that I think a single specific photon move from inside to outside, taking 100,000 years.

1. What is a superfluid cloud?

A superfluid cloud is a state of matter that exhibits unique properties such as zero viscosity and the ability to flow without any resistance. It is made up of particles that have reached extremely low temperatures, usually close to absolute zero.

2. How big would this superfluid cloud need to be to eclipse the Sun?

The size of the superfluid cloud needed to eclipse the Sun would depend on its density. However, it would likely need to be significantly larger than the Sun itself, as the Sun has a diameter of approximately 1.4 million kilometers.

3. What would happen to Earth if the superfluid cloud eclipses the Sun?

If the superfluid cloud eclipses the Sun, the Earth would experience a sudden decrease in temperature and darkness during the time of the eclipse. However, the effects would not be long-lasting as the superfluid cloud would eventually dissipate and the Sun would resume its normal function.

4. Would there be any long-term effects on the solar system?

No, there would not likely be any long-term effects on the solar system if a superfluid cloud were to eclipse the Sun. Once the cloud dissipates, the Sun would continue to function as normal and any temporary changes to the Earth's temperature and light would return to their regular levels.

5. Is it possible for a superfluid cloud to actually eclipse the Sun?

While it is theoretically possible for a superfluid cloud to eclipse the Sun, it is highly unlikely. Superfluid clouds are typically found in very low temperatures and distant from massive objects like the Sun. Additionally, the size and density of the cloud would need to be extremely precise in order for it to block out the Sun completely.