What would happen if the sun was hit by a gamma ray burst?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Nash Su
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Now I am wondering what would happen to the sun if it was hit by the nearest gamma ray burst (I believe the nearest one is 6.7 Light years away). Now I understand that a gamma ray burst is going to be more radiation than what the sun produces in its lifetime. I also know that the sun is just one big massive ball of radiation and gamma rays.

Now I hear that it will do nothing to the sun because the sun is already highly radiated by the rays. But what if the sun reflects some of the rays towards, let us say, Earth. Is it possible for that to happen? If not reflect then would the sun just give another solar flare out into space to level out the radiation?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nash Su said:
Now I am wondering what would happen to the sun if it was hit by the nearest gamma ray burst (I believe the nearest one is 6.7 Light years away). Now I understand that a gamma ray burst is going to be more radiation than what the sun produces in its lifetime. I also know that the sun is just one big massive ball of radiation and gamma rays.

What are you referring to. There have been no GRB's anywhere close to the Sun. (Or even our galaxy) Also, the Sun is an oblate spheroid consisting mostly of a plasma of protons and electrons with a small amount of other elements. It is true that radiation is being radiated out from the core through the rest of the star and out into space, but the vast majority of this radiation is not gamma rays. Gamma rays are quickly absorbed in the core where they are re-emitted and absorbed again and again until the radiation has dropped off out of the gamma ray range.