What would make a star flash red and blue?

In summary, a star flashing red and blue is known as a variable star, which exhibits changes in its brightness or properties over time. This can be caused by internal processes such as pulsation or the presence of hot and cool spots on its surface, as well as external factors like interactions with other stars or planets. Additionally, a star's distance from Earth can also affect its perceived color variability due to the effects of light traveling through space.
Liger20
Hello, several nights ago I was outside looking at the sky. I noticed this strange looking star near the horizon, and I swear to you, it kept flashing from red to blue and back. I vaguely remember reading something about this, but I don't quite remember what it was.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Atmospheric distortion causes the light to spread out into its various colors. Bad seeing close to the horizon that night.

There are a few different reasons why a star may appear to flash red and blue. One possibility is that the star is actually a binary star system, meaning there are two stars orbiting each other closely. As the stars move in their orbit, they may appear to alternate between red and blue due to their different temperatures and spectral classes.

Another possibility is that the star is experiencing what is known as "scintillation," or atmospheric twinkling. This is caused by turbulence in the Earth's atmosphere, which can cause the star's light to appear to flicker and change color. This effect is more noticeable when the star is near the horizon, as the light has to travel through more of the atmosphere to reach our eyes.

Lastly, it is also possible that the star you saw was actually a planet, such as Mars or Jupiter, which can appear to twinkle and change color due to their close proximity to Earth. Planets have a different appearance than stars, so it is possible that what you saw was actually a planet rather than a star.

Overall, there are several possible explanations for a star appearing to flash red and blue. It could be a binary star system, atmospheric scintillation, or a planet. It's always exciting to see unusual things in the night sky, and I hope this helps explain what you may have seen!

What would make a star flash red and blue?

The phenomenon of a star flashing red and blue is known as a variable star. There are several factors that can cause a star to exhibit this behavior:

What is a variable star?

A variable star is a star that exhibits changes in its brightness or other properties over time. This could be due to internal processes within the star or external factors such as interactions with other stars or planets.

What are some internal processes that could cause a star to flash red and blue?

The most common internal process that causes a star to vary in color is pulsation. This is when the star expands and contracts, changing its temperature and thus its color. Another possible process is the presence of hot and cool spots on the star's surface.

How can interactions with other stars or planets cause a star to flash red and blue?

If a star has a close companion, their gravity can affect each other's shape and temperature, causing the star to appear to change color. Similarly, the presence of planets can cause variations in the star's brightness and color as the planets pass in front of the star.

Can a star's distance from Earth affect its color variability?

Yes, a star's distance from Earth can affect its perceived color variability. As light travels through space, it can be scattered, absorbed, or distorted by dust and gas clouds, which can alter the color of the star as seen from Earth.