Center of mass: What would make the truck tipover?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
okgo
Messages
61
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



http://screencast.com/t/ZTk3NDUxNjU

I need help with understanding number 18.


Homework Equations


Center of mase formula: m1x1+m2x2/(all masses)


The Attempt at a Solution


How do you tell if adding the weight will make the truck tipover.

I calculated that the center of mass would shift to 1.75m from where the load was added. Or .25 m from the axle. (axle 1)+(axle 2)/(the whole mass of the system)
2000*4.5+8000*1.5/12000=1.75m from where the new load was added.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the moment about the front axle to find resultant weight on the rear axle.

If the rear axle weight is greater than the total weight, then the truck will tip over. Because this will mean that the reaction at the front axle will be downward (like a chain pulling the axle down)
 
hmm I don't quite understand.
would the equation be
x*3/120000=2.5?

This would mean that the distance of the weight of the load would be ignored.