Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What would things look like if PI = 3.

1. Feb 19, 2017 #1
    Hey there!

I found myself being rather curious as to what a reality would look like where PI to equal 3, instead of 3.14...

Uploaded a picture, was wondering if anyone able to get their head around it is also able to draw or explain the key differences.

Thanks!
    <3

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, if the laws of math and physics did not apply, it's real hard to say WHAT things would look like, but basically, I think your question doesn't make any sense.

4. Feb 20, 2017 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The question is meaningless. It is like asking what the world would look like if 1=2 or if white was black.

5. Feb 20, 2017 #4
    The question becomes meaningful if you consider pi as just the circumference/diameter ratio

6. Feb 20, 2017 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No it doesn't. In curved spaces, this ratio is generally dependent on the radius and position and not a constant. In the limit of small radii, the ratio becomes pi on all smooth Riemannian manifolds.

7. Feb 20, 2017 #6

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

There is no point in discussing this.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook