What would things look like if i was moving as fast as light

• Thread starter AgentPancake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or 670,616,629 miles per hour, and according to current understanding of physics, nothing with mass can reach this speed. Time would appear to slow down for an object moving at the speed of light due to the theory of relativity, and an object moving at this speed would not be able to see or perceive anything. Additionally, if it were possible for an object to reach the speed of light, its mass would become infinite.
AgentPancake
would things just look frozen?

Science news on Phys.org
AgentPancake said:
would things just look frozen?
It isn't possible to travel at the speed of light, so we cannot answer the question.

To elaborate, according to our laws of physics, it is not possible to travel at the speed of light. We use these laws to make predictions (describe what thinks look like) under certain circumstances. If our laws prohibit a certain set of circumstances, we cannot predict with any degree of certainty, what would happen if those sets of circumstances where to happen.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour.

2. Can anything actually move at the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, it is impossible for anything with mass to reach the speed of light. The closer an object gets to the speed of light, the more energy it would require and the more its mass would increase, making it impossible to reach the speed of light.

3. How would time slow down if I was moving at the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time would appear to slow down for an object moving at the speed of light. This is because time and space are relative and depend on the observer's frame of reference. As an object approaches the speed of light, time would slow down until it would appear to stop completely at the speed of light.

4. Would I be able to see anything if I was moving at the speed of light?

No, you would not be able to see anything if you were moving at the speed of light. This is because light travels at the same speed as you, so it would not be able to reach your eyes and be processed by your brain. Additionally, as time would appear to have stopped for you, you would not be able to perceive any changes or movement.

5. What would happen to my mass if I was moving at the speed of light?

If it were possible for an object to move at the speed of light, its mass would become infinite. This is due to the equation E=mc^2, which shows that as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its mass would increase infinitely. This is one of the reasons why it is impossible for anything with mass to reach the speed of light.