What would you see traveling faster than light?

In summary: all the stars were originally stationary wrt the ship, there should be starlight in 360 degrees all around, except for directly behind.The speed of the ship increases above c, but because the bubble is expanding, the angle between the observer and the stars increases as well.
newjerseyrunner
In my universe, the laws of physics are exactly the same, except we've figured out how to create an Alcubierre drive (we discovered how to create negative energy density, how is done through handwaving.)

So, with that assumption, what would you actually see while traveling in a warp bubble like the one described by Alcubierre.

I came to the conclusion that it would depend on where you were looking.
  • Directly behind you, you would see absolutely nothing. Light would not be able to reach your eyes from any place outside of the bubble behind you.
  • Directly in front of you, you'd see stars whipping by you, but you'd actually be seeing the far infrared, as they'd be blue-shifted. If the ship is traveling at 3000x the speed of light, light in the 100GHz range would be blue-shifted into the 300THz visible range.
  • To the side of you, you'd see a gradient from heavily blue-shifted stars to heavily redshifted, fading to blackness as you get closer to perpendicular to direction of motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
newjerseyrunner said:
In my universe, the laws of physics are exactly the same, except we've figured out how to create an Alcubierre drive (we discovered how to create negative energy density, how is done through handwaving.)

So, with that assumption, what would you actually see while traveling in a warp bubble like the one described by Alcubierre.

I came to the conclusion that it would depend on where you were looking.
  • Directly behind you, you would see absolutely nothing. Light would not be able to reach your eyes from any place outside of the bubble behind you.
  • Directly in front of you, you'd see stars whipping by you, but you'd actually be seeing the far infrared, as they'd be blue-shifted. If the ship is traveling at 3000x the speed of light, light in the 100GHz range would be blue-shifted into the 300THz visible range.
  • To the side of you, you'd see a gradient from heavily blue-shifted stars to heavily redshifted, fading to blackness as you get closer to perpendicular to direction of motion.
You have posited a continuous spectrum, so it seems reasonable to me to assume that if EM radiation could reach you then some of it would be shifted into frequencies and intensities that would fry you pretty much instantly, so you wouldn't "see" much because you'd be dead.

phinds said:
You have posited a continuous spectrum, so it seems reasonable to me to assume that if EM radiation could reach you then some of it would be shifted into frequencies and intensities that would fry you pretty much instantly, so you wouldn't "see" much because you'd be dead.
Interesting. I hadn't considered what EM radiation from the rest of the spectrum would do to you. I suppose I'll need some technology to fix that, the ship's force fields should be able to handle the high intensity radiation, humans would have to find a way to deflect the normal space radiation anyway.

You also need to think about this: if EM radiation can reach you, then why not space dust? Any way you cut it, I think if any of that stuff can reach you at those speeds, you're dead.

I may be a bit late, but your field of view would increase dramatically- I wish I had a source for this, so I may have to edit this post later. I'd recalled seeing some sort of diagram of going to the sun at near-light speed, and aside from blueshift, that was one of the effects.

newjerseyrunner said:
To the side of you, you'd see a gradient from heavily blue-shifted stars to heavily redshifted, fading to blackness as you get closer to perpendicular to direction of motion.
Why is that? The blackness perpendicular.

For a ship at c, what was once perpendicular (at zero ) is now at a 45 deg angle to the front of you, and what was 45 degrees behind you, is now seen perpendicular to you.
Any thing ahead of the ship from perpendicular ( at zero ) should now be blue-shifted ( at c ), and anything behind should now be red-shifted. Since all the stars were originally stationary wrt the ship, there should be starlight in 360 degrees all around, except for directly behind.

By increasing the speed of the ship above c, I would have thought that there would still be a 360 degree view of stars, but that more rotation towards the direction of travel would occur.

256bits said:
Why is that? The blackness perpendicular.

For a ship at c, what was once perpendicular (at zero ) is now at a 45 deg angle to the front of you, and what was 45 degrees behind you, is now seen perpendicular to you.
Any thing ahead of the ship from perpendicular ( at zero ) should now be blue-shifted ( at c ), and anything behind should now be red-shifted. Since all the stars were originally stationary wrt the ship, there should be starlight in 360 degrees all around, except for directly behind.

By increasing the speed of the ship above c, I would have thought that there would still be a 360 degree view of stars, but that more rotation towards the direction of travel would occur.
Wouldn't all the stars behind you be moving away from you faster than light? I would think that they would be redshifted to infinity like the galaxies at the edge of the universe?

So I approximated some geodesic around a positive and negative energy densities and I came up with the conclusion that in front of you you'd see a fisheye view of the universe, like looking out through a peephole in a door. Behind you, you'd see a reverse fisheye view, sort of like trying to look through a peephole backwards. However, both it wouldn't be clear, the entire thing would be out of focus unless you were in an exact sweet spot.

Does this sound right? In my image, the blue is positive energy density and the red is negative energy density. There are three stars, one green, pink, and brown, the brown on is behind the spacecraft .

Attachments

• Photo on 6-14-16 at 11.15 AM.jpg
    Photo on 6-14-16 at 11.15 AM.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 562
I thought the idea behind the Alcubierre drive was that the ship is not moving through the space inside of the bubble, and that space outside of the bubble (and the light traveling through it) was moved around the outside of the bubble.

How big is your bubble? As long as you're bending space, there's no reason to make the outside bigger than the inside, and this could help with that annoying energy flux.

newjerseyrunner said:

Here's a paper discussing exactly that--
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9907019
The first few pages are a lot of equations; starting about page 10 is an interesting discussion.

Likes newjerseyrunner

What is the concept of traveling faster than light?

The concept of traveling faster than light, also known as FTL travel, is based on the idea of surpassing the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. According to the theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to reach or exceed the speed of light.

Why is traveling faster than light considered impossible?

Traveling faster than light is considered impossible because it violates the fundamental laws of physics, specifically the theory of relativity. This theory states that the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object in the universe can travel, and it cannot be exceeded. Additionally, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate further.

What are some potential consequences of traveling faster than light?

If traveling faster than light were possible, it would have significant consequences on our understanding of the universe. The theory of relativity would need to be revised, and the concept of causality, which states that an effect cannot occur before its cause, would be challenged. Moreover, it could potentially open up avenues for time travel and have implications for the laws of thermodynamics.

What would we see if we were able to travel faster than light?

If we were able to travel faster than light, we would see a phenomenon known as the "Doppler effect." This means that the light waves ahead of us would be compressed, making them appear more blue, while the waves behind us would be stretched, making them appear more red. Additionally, we would not be able to see anything in front of us due to the intense radiation caused by traveling at such high speeds.

Are there any theories or research being conducted on the concept of traveling faster than light?

While traveling faster than light is currently considered impossible, scientists continue to research and explore potential ways to achieve this feat. Some theories, such as the Alcubierre drive, propose methods for warping space-time to allow for FTL travel. However, these theories are still in the early stages of development, and there is currently no evidence to support their feasibility.