1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What you study in Condensed matter physics

1. Feb 19, 2015 #1
    Hello! Could someone tell me what they are studying in the first three years (undergradute) in condensed matter physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In general, one does not specialize until graduate school.

4. Feb 20, 2015 #3
    Ok so what they are studying in the first three years before graduate school?

5. Feb 20, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Physics before about 1930. You can get a detailed list by visiting the web site of most universities.

6. Feb 20, 2015 #5
    I think the crucial point that Vanadium implied but did not explicitly state is that usually there is little to no specialization before grad school. That is, you study physics. Not condensed mater physics, particle physics, biophysics, atomic physics, optics or the forum-notorious "theoretical physics". There may be a few exceptions, though. So it might help if you could clarify why you are asking about an undergrad program for condensed matter physics.

7. Feb 20, 2015 #6
    I'm allready studying physics of condensed matter, but I want to know if there are some missing modules that we didn't study or something like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook