Whatever happen to the Twilight Zone?

• Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the decline of quality television shows and the prevalence of cheap and mindless entertainment. The original Twilight Zone is praised as an example of a good show, while the newer versions are criticized. The conversation also touches on the increase in the number of channels and the impact it has on the quality of programming. The mention of other shows such as Night Gallery and The Outer Limits highlights that there are still some great shows being produced. Overall, the conversation reflects on the changing landscape of television and the impact it has on viewers.
Willowz
So, I just saw a fantastic episode from The Twilight Zone. Fantastic.

Got me wondering. With all the bull and cheap entertainment you get nowadays, whatever happened to good shows like the Twilight Zone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Willowz said:

Got me wondering. With all the bull and cheap entertainment you get nowadays, whatever happened to good shows like the Twilight Zone?
Basically, Rod Serling died.

Willowz said:
... whatever happened to good shows

That has been a complaint since not much beyond the earliest days of TV and it will continue to be a complaint, probably forever. There has, and likely always will be, crap and good stuff. The fact that there is crap today and the OLD good stuff is gone is pretty much a constant.

Willowz said:

Which episode was it?

My favorite episode was the one where the guy wakes up, and he's the same - but everyone else is different.

Oh, there was plenty of crap on tv back then, it's just that the crap isn't replayed in holiday marathons.

I like the original Twilight Zone episodes much better than the 80s ones and the newest ones are just crap.

Evo said:
Oh, there was plenty of crap on tv back then, it's just that the crap isn't replayed in holiday marathons.
There is some truth to that; we do only see the good stuff in reruns. However, there is also some truth to the "golden age of television".

Writers nowadays are seeing who can outdo one another with regard to the Casey Anthony show or some other meaningless pablum, and the cheaper the production the better. There was no 24/7 Casey Anthony channel in the golden age. Now we have dozens and dozens of 24/7 of Casey Anthony channels.

"How can I have 500 channels and there's nothing to watch?" Simple: You have 500 channels, not three. Those 500 channels cannot afford to do anything that approaches a high-quality production. While the US population increased by a factor of 1.72 from 1960 to 2010, the number of channels increased by a factor of over 100. There are too many channels chasing after more or less the same number of people.

Actually, it's better now than it was. In 1961 is was a vast wasteland, now it's just half-vast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_Speech"

Thanks Newton. Say hello to the Mrs. and all the little Minows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Actually, it's better now than it was. In 1961 is was a vast wasteland, now it's just half-vast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_Speech"

Thanks Newton. Say hello to the Mrs. and all the little Minows.
good find Jimmy.

Yes DH, there are so many channels of junk, I don't buy the premium cable packages because it's not worth it to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Oh, no. That's vast backwards. Now it's the Sahara Desert, but spread across the breadth of the planet. Back in 1961 it was just the Great Plains.

d h said:
oh, no. That's vast backwards. Now it's the sahara desert, but spread across the breadth of the planet. Back in 1961 it was just the great plains.
lol.

The episode was, 'Shadow Play'. Preeeetttyy cool episode if you ask me. But, then I saw, 'Five Characters in Search of An Exit' and it was almost as good as 'Shadow Play'. Though in certain ways one episode was better than the other.

D H said:
There is some truth to that; we do only see the good stuff in reruns. However, there is also some truth to the "golden age of television".

Did we ever watch the crap back then? NO. That's why we're into science today, IMO. :biggrin:

There are still some great shows around. After Twilight Zone ended, Serling did a series called Night Gallery. In that is imo one of his most unique works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fq3Y_Tco3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1e3voETtQ0

There was another Twilight Zone series done in the late 80s that had some great episodes. And the same is true of The Outer Limits, which was done in the 60s and again in the 90s. While the original OL never rose to the level of Serling's work, the second version produced a number of fantastic stories.

Willowz said:
The episode was, 'Shadow Play'. Preeeetttyy cool episode if you ask me. But, then I saw, 'Five Characters in Search of An Exit' and it was almost as good as 'Shadow Play'. Though in certain ways one episode was better than the other.

Oh that's the first episode I ever saw. It's a pretty good episode but there are better ones

Related to Whatever happen to the Twilight Zone?

1. What is the Twilight Zone?

The Twilight Zone is a popular science fiction and horror anthology television series that originally aired in the 1950s and has since been revived multiple times. Each episode features a unique story with strange and often supernatural elements, exploring themes of morality, fate, and the human condition.

2. When did the Twilight Zone originally air?

The original Twilight Zone series first aired in 1959 and ran for five seasons until 1964.

3. Why did the Twilight Zone end?

The original Twilight Zone series ended due to declining ratings and high production costs. However, the show has been revived multiple times, including in the 1980s and 2000s, and continues to have a cult following.

4. Who created the Twilight Zone?

The Twilight Zone was created by Rod Serling, who also served as the show's host and narrator. Serling was a prolific writer and television producer, known for his work on other popular shows such as The Loner and Night Gallery.

5. Is the Twilight Zone still relevant today?

Yes, the Twilight Zone's themes of human nature, morality, and societal issues continue to be relevant in today's world. The show's impact can be seen in various forms of media, including films, television shows, and literature. It has also been referenced and parodied in popular culture numerous times.