What's more important: your thumb drive or your wallet?

  • Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • #1
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
185
80
Could you afford to lose your 'jump' drive?

She found her master’s degree in a trash can
Pretty good thinking and some persistence ..... borne out of desparation, of course. :rofl:
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
rachmaninoff
Only one copy of a finished thesis? No backups? They should arrest her for criminal negligence.
 
  • #3
matthyaouw
Gold Member
1,153
5
Sweet jesus, I always make sure I have a backup even of a 500 word document...
 
  • #4
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
16
My flash drive is full of mathematica notebooks which i probably could find 4 other copies of in my house or at my university.
 
  • #5
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
16
Grad school never came easily to Cerniglia, who majored in dance as part of the University of Maryland's Class of 1986, became a personal trainer and returned to the school in her forties for a master's degree in exercise physiology.
Well she obviously wasn't too bright in the first place....
 
  • #6
1,134
9
Be back later, gonna back up some stuff:redface:
 
  • #7
rachmaninoff
For critical documents, I have a copy on a hard drive, a flash drive, a file server, and two seperate email servers (one of them is gmail). It takes no effort to do this.
 
  • #8
rachmaninoff
Pengwuino said:
Well she obviously wasn't too bright in the first place....
Seems a good assessment. :tongue2:
 
  • #9
russ_watters
Mentor
19,851
6,274
rachmaninoff said:
Only one copy of a finished thesis? No backups? They should arrest her for criminal negligence.
Seriously - have nothing anywhere near that important, and I keep backups!
 
  • #10
cronxeh
Gold Member
961
10
Ahem.. *cough*

if she only had one copy, then she is not intelligent enough to achieve a Masters. Yeap, those are my 2 cents and dont you dare stealing them :grumpy:
 
  • #11
rachmaninoff
cronxeh said:
Ahem.. *cough*
if she only had one copy, then she is not intelligent enough to achieve a Masters. Yeap, those are my 2 cents and dont you dare stealing them :grumpy:
Well DUH. :tongue2:
 
  • #12
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
cronxeh said:
Ahem.. *cough*
if she only had one copy, then she is not intelligent enough to achieve a Masters. Yeap, those are my 2 cents and dont you dare stealing them :grumpy:
I'd have to agree. Geez, your thesis is the sort of thing where you keep copies of every draft, hard copies, electronic copies, copies on three different forms of media, a copy at home, a copy at the lab, a copy in the car, and you'd risk your life running into a burning building to save it. You'd never leave your only copy on something like a jump drive that could be damaged, and then leave it out of your sight for even a moment (she should have had it on a chain around her neck!) Though, the determination in finding it in a dumpster at Wendy's does make up for it a bit. :rolleyes:
 
  • #13
cronxeh
Gold Member
961
10
Moonbear said:
I'd have to agree. Geez, your thesis is the sort of thing where you keep copies of every draft, hard copies, electronic copies, copies on three different forms of media, a copy at home, a copy at the lab, a copy in the car, and you'd risk your life running into a burning building to save it. You'd never leave your only copy on something like a jump drive that could be damaged, and then leave it out of your sight for even a moment (she should have had it on a chain around her neck!) Though, the determination in finding it in a dumpster at Wendy's does make up for it a bit. :rolleyes:

:uhh: I should call social services and have Franzbear transfered to some other parents.. I just dont feel he is safe living with you :devil:
 
  • #14
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
cronxeh said:
:uhh: I should call social services and have Franzbear transfered to some other parents.. I just dont feel he is safe living with you :devil:
:cry: No, you can't take my wittle Fwanzbear away! I'd rescue him from a burning building too...even if I was the one to set the fire.
 
  • #15
DaveC426913
Gold Member
18,928
2,421
Did you read how she got it back? The credit cards? The interstate?? The dumpster???

I want to find this woman and befriend her - and be very near to her at all times - especially on airline flights.

This woman could sit in her bathtub and drop her toaster in the water - there'd be a city-wide power outage two seconds before.

Someone up there seriously, SERIOUSLY likes her.
 
  • #16
rachmaninoff
Or maybe she made up the whole story?
 
  • #17
137
0
rachmaninoff said:
Or maybe she made up the whole story?
I'm not sure how inclined police are to join in on publicity stunt hoaxes.
 

Related Threads on What's more important: your thumb drive or your wallet?

  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
48
Views
46K
  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
16
Views
2K
  • Last Post
5
Replies
115
Views
12K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
26
Views
2K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
2
Replies
30
Views
3K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
55
Views
8K
  • Last Post
4
Replies
90
Views
5K
Top