Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's more important: your thumb drive or your wallet?

1. Dec 22, 2005 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could you afford to lose your 'jump' drive?

She found her master’s degree in a trash can
    Pretty good thinking and some persistence ..... borne out of desparation, of course. :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2005 #2
    Only one copy of a finished thesis? No backups? They should arrest her for criminal negligence.

4. Dec 22, 2005 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Sweet jesus, I always make sure I have a backup even of a 500 word document...

5. Dec 22, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My flash drive is full of mathematica notebooks which i probably could find 4 other copies of in my house or at my university.

6. Dec 22, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well she obviously wasn't too bright in the first place....

7. Dec 22, 2005 #6
    Be back later, gonna back up some stuff:redface:

8. Dec 22, 2005 #7
    For critical documents, I have a copy on a hard drive, a flash drive, a file server, and two seperate email servers (one of them is gmail). It takes no effort to do this.

9. Dec 22, 2005 #8
    Seems a good assessment. :tongue2:

10. Dec 22, 2005 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Seriously - have nothing anywhere near that important, and I keep backups!

11. Dec 22, 2005 #10

cronxeh

Gold Member

Ahem.. *cough*

if she only had one copy, then she is not intelligent enough to achieve a Masters. Yeap, those are my 2 cents and dont you dare stealing them :grumpy:

12. Dec 22, 2005 #11
    Well DUH. :tongue2:

13. Dec 22, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd have to agree. Geez, your thesis is the sort of thing where you keep copies of every draft, hard copies, electronic copies, copies on three different forms of media, a copy at home, a copy at the lab, a copy in the car, and you'd risk your life running into a burning building to save it. You'd never leave your only copy on something like a jump drive that could be damaged, and then leave it out of your sight for even a moment (she should have had it on a chain around her neck!) Though, the determination in finding it in a dumpster at Wendy's does make up for it a bit. :rolleyes:

14. Dec 22, 2005 #13

cronxeh

Gold Member

:uhh: I should call social services and have Franzbear transfered to some other parents.. I just dont feel he is safe living with you :devil:

15. Dec 22, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:cry: No, you can't take my wittle Fwanzbear away! I'd rescue him from a burning building too...even if I was the one to set the fire.

16. Dec 22, 2005 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Did you read how she got it back? The credit cards? The interstate?? The dumpster???

I want to find this woman and befriend her - and be very near to her at all times - especially on airline flights.

This woman could sit in her bathtub and drop her toaster in the water - there'd be a city-wide power outage two seconds before.

Someone up there seriously, SERIOUSLY likes her.

17. Dec 23, 2005 #16
    Or maybe she made up the whole story?

18. Dec 23, 2005 #17
    I'm not sure how inclined police are to join in on publicity stunt hoaxes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?