What's my level of physics according to the textbook?

  • Topic: Studying 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics Textbook
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Messages
2,163
Reaction score
191
there's a textbook "Principle of Physics" by Jearl Walker,David Halliday,Robert Resnick 10th edition.I can do most of the questions easily.Like If there's 25 question I can do 22 most likely.
Is this book too easy ? Whats my level ? Should buy something heavier and more challenging ?
I am freshman student.And the book is given by our professor.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
there's a textbook "Principle of Physics" by Jearl Walker,David Halliday,Robert Resnick 10th edition.I can do most of the questions easily.Like If there's 25 question I can do 22 most likely.
Is this book too easy ? Whats my level ? Should buy something heavier and more challenging ?
I am freshman student.And the book is given by our professor.

That is a HUGE book. Are you saying that you've gone through the entire book, at that is the rate that you can do all of the problems?

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Arman777
ZapperZ said:
That is a HUGE book. Are you saying that you've gone through the entire book, at that is the rate that you can do all of the problems?

Zz.

I covered till gravitation (which is chapter 13 , cause we covered that much subject in the first semester).So I can do the questions as a rate I described above.20/25 more or less.
Second semester we will do electromagnetism.

(there's 44 chapters)
 
Arman777 said:
I covered till gravitation (which is chapter 13 , cause we covered that much subject in the first semester).So I can do the questions as a rate I described above.20/25 more or less.
Second semester we will do electromagnetism.

(there's 44 chapters)

So let's wait till you've covered a significant portion of the book before claiming that the text is easy.

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Arman777
ZapperZ said:
So let's wait till you've covered a significant portion of the book before claiming that the text is easy.

Zz.

Oh I see...It will took several years or maybe even next year we will use another book.I don't know.But as you said If its Huge book then so far its great I guess.

Thanks
 
I might offer a few words of caution. First, it's those 3 to 5 questions that you don't get that will come back to bite you. Don't skip over them. Figure them out. Second, remember that first year university courses are very much an equalizer. Student skills will vary depending on the quality of their high school education and degree of self-preparation. Some students will find a lot of the work review. Others will struggle to catch up. A lot of this can depend on the particular chapter the professor is covering. Usually by second year most students are breaking new ground.

With that said, if you're not finding you course challenging enough, then talk to your professor about what textbooks you might be using in your second year classes and start working through them.
 
Its challenging and I am trying to solve every problem.

I am not trying to prove here that I am so smart and book is too easy.I wanted to know the textbook level cause It will tell me my approximate level of solving problems.Whıch as Zapper pointed out.The book is great.Thats enough for me

If book was easy then I couldn't know my level.Now I can say something about it.
Choppy said:
I might offer a few words of caution. First, it's those 3 to 5 questions that you don't get that will come back to bite you. Don't skip over them. Figure them out. Second, remember that first year university courses are very much an equalizer. Student skills will vary depending on the quality of their high school education and degree of self-preparation. Some students will find a lot of the work review. Others will struggle to catch up. A lot of this can depend on the particular chapter the professor is covering. Usually by second year most students are breaking new ground.

With that said, if you're not finding you course challenging enough, then talk to your professor about what textbooks you might be using in your second year classes and start working through them.
 
Arman777 said:
there's a textbook "Principle of Physics" by Jearl Walker,David Halliday,Robert Resnick 10th edition.I can do most of the questions easily.Like If there's 25 question I can do 22 most likely.
Is this book too easy ? Whats my level ? Should buy something heavier and more challenging ?
I am freshman student.And the book is given by our professor.

Halliday, Walker, and Resnick is a Freshman/Sophmore level book; great book though, I like it a lot better than its counterpart by Young and Friedman.
 
clope023 said:
Halliday, Walker, and Resnick is a Freshman/Sophmore level book; great book though, I like it a lot better than its counterpart by Young and Friedman.

Thanks.Its really great book, we have a great professor also
 
In the US, Halliday/Resnick/Walker is a very common first year university physics textbook, and reflects the general level of those courses here.

Some "elite" schools teach the course at a higher level using e.g. Kleppner/Kolenkow for mechanics and Purcell for E&M. If you aren't feeling sufficiently challenged you might look at those books.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CalcNerd and Arman777
jtbell said:
In the US, Halliday/Resnick/Walker is a very common first year university physics textbook, and reflects the general level of those courses here.

Some "elite" schools teach the course at a higher level using e.g. Kleppner/Kolenkow for mechanics and Purcell for E&M. If you aren't feeling sufficiently challenged you might look at those books.

I see,I ll look them thanks