1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying What's my level of physics according to the textbook?

1. Jan 25, 2017 #1
    Theres a textbook "Principle of Physics" by Jearl Walker,David Halliday,Robert Resnick 10th edition.I can do most of the questions easily.Like If theres 25 question I can do 22 most likely.
    Is this book too easy ? Whats my level ? Should buy something heavier and more challenging ?
    I am freshman student.And the book is given by our professor.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2017 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That is a HUGE book. Are you saying that you've gone through the entire book, at that is the rate that you can do all of the problems?

Zz.

4. Jan 25, 2017 #3
    I covered till gravitation (which is chapter 13 , cause we covered that much subject in the first semester).So I can do the questions as a rate I described above.20/25 more or less.
    Second semester we will do electromagnetism.

(theres 44 chapters)

5. Jan 25, 2017 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So let's wait till you've covered a significant portion of the book before claiming that the text is easy.

Zz.

6. Jan 25, 2017 #5
    Oh I see...It will took several years or maybe even next year we will use another book.I dont know.But as you said If its Huge book then so far its great I guess.

Thanks

7. Jan 25, 2017 #6

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I might offer a few words of caution. First, it's those 3 to 5 questions that you don't get that will come back to bite you. Don't skip over them. Figure them out. Second, remember that first year university courses are very much an equalizer. Student skills will vary depending on the quality of their high school education and degree of self-preparation. Some students will find a lot of the work review. Others will struggle to catch up. A lot of this can depend on the particular chapter the professor is covering. Usually by second year most students are breaking new ground.

With that said, if you're not finding you course challenging enough, then talk to your professor about what textbooks you might be using in your second year classes and start working through them.

8. Jan 26, 2017 #7
    Its challenging and I am trying to solve every problem.

I am not trying to prove here that I am so smart and book is too easy.I wanted to know the textbook level cause It will tell me my approximate level of solving problems.Whıch as Zapper pointed out.The book is great.Thats enough for me

If book was easy then I couldnt know my level.Now I can say something about it.

9. Jan 26, 2017 #8
    Halliday, Walker, and Resnick is a Freshman/Sophmore level book; great book though, I like it alot better than its counterpart by Young and Friedman.

10. Jan 26, 2017 #9
    Thanks.Its really great book, we have a great professor also

11. Jan 26, 2017 #10

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In the US, Halliday/Resnick/Walker is a very common first year university physics textbook, and reflects the general level of those courses here.

Some "elite" schools teach the course at a higher level using e.g. Kleppner/Kolenkow for mechanics and Purcell for E&M. If you aren't feeling sufficiently challenged you might look at those books.

12. Jan 26, 2017 #11
    I see,I ll look them thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted