• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Studying What's my level of physics according to the textbook?

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
Theres a textbook "Principle of Physics" by Jearl Walker,David Halliday,Robert Resnick 10th edition.I can do most of the questions easily.Like If theres 25 question I can do 22 most likely.
Is this book too easy ? Whats my level ? Should buy something heavier and more challenging ?
I am freshman student.And the book is given by our professor.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Theres a textbook "Principle of Physics" by Jearl Walker,David Halliday,Robert Resnick 10th edition.I can do most of the questions easily.Like If theres 25 question I can do 22 most likely.
Is this book too easy ? Whats my level ? Should buy something heavier and more challenging ?
That is a HUGE book. Are you saying that you've gone through the entire book, at that is the rate that you can do all of the problems?

Zz.

That is a HUGE book. Are you saying that you've gone through the entire book, at that is the rate that you can do all of the problems?

Zz.
I covered till gravitation (which is chapter 13 , cause we covered that much subject in the first semester).So I can do the questions as a rate I described above.20/25 more or less.
Second semester we will do electromagnetism.

(theres 44 chapters)

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I covered till gravitation (which is chapter 13 , cause we covered that much subject in the first semester).So I can do the questions as a rate I described above.20/25 more or less.
Second semester we will do electromagnetism.

(theres 44 chapters)
So let's wait till you've covered a significant portion of the book before claiming that the text is easy.

Zz.

So let's wait till you've covered a significant portion of the book before claiming that the text is easy.

Zz.
Oh I see...It will took several years or maybe even next year we will use another book.I dont know.But as you said If its Huge book then so far its great I guess.

Thanks

Choppy

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I might offer a few words of caution. First, it's those 3 to 5 questions that you don't get that will come back to bite you. Don't skip over them. Figure them out. Second, remember that first year university courses are very much an equalizer. Student skills will vary depending on the quality of their high school education and degree of self-preparation. Some students will find a lot of the work review. Others will struggle to catch up. A lot of this can depend on the particular chapter the professor is covering. Usually by second year most students are breaking new ground.

With that said, if you're not finding you course challenging enough, then talk to your professor about what textbooks you might be using in your second year classes and start working through them.

Its challenging and I am trying to solve every problem.

I am not trying to prove here that I am so smart and book is too easy.I wanted to know the textbook level cause It will tell me my approximate level of solving problems.Whıch as Zapper pointed out.The book is great.Thats enough for me

If book was easy then I couldnt know my level.Now I can say something about it.

I might offer a few words of caution. First, it's those 3 to 5 questions that you don't get that will come back to bite you. Don't skip over them. Figure them out. Second, remember that first year university courses are very much an equalizer. Student skills will vary depending on the quality of their high school education and degree of self-preparation. Some students will find a lot of the work review. Others will struggle to catch up. A lot of this can depend on the particular chapter the professor is covering. Usually by second year most students are breaking new ground.

With that said, if you're not finding you course challenging enough, then talk to your professor about what textbooks you might be using in your second year classes and start working through them.

Halliday, Walker, and Resnick is a Freshman/Sophmore level book; great book though, I like it alot better than its counterpart by Young and Friedman.

Halliday, Walker, and Resnick is a Freshman/Sophmore level book; great book though, I like it alot better than its counterpart by Young and Friedman.
Thanks.Its really great book, we have a great professor also

jtbell

Mentor
In the US, Halliday/Resnick/Walker is a very common first year university physics textbook, and reflects the general level of those courses here.

Some "elite" schools teach the course at a higher level using e.g. Kleppner/Kolenkow for mechanics and Purcell for E&M. If you aren't feeling sufficiently challenged you might look at those books.

In the US, Halliday/Resnick/Walker is a very common first year university physics textbook, and reflects the general level of those courses here.

Some "elite" schools teach the course at a higher level using e.g. Kleppner/Kolenkow for mechanics and Purcell for E&M. If you aren't feeling sufficiently challenged you might look at those books.
I see,I ll look them thanks