Whats the meaning of Parallel in Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of parallel vectors and how it relates to the distance between two lines. The concept of parallelism is dependent on the chosen metric, which can vary and affect the definition of parallelism. However, in Euclidean space, two vectors with a constant distance between them can be considered parallel.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Lets suppose we have a two vectors where ##\vec u=c\vec r## where c is just a reel constant number.Can we say ##\vec u## and ##\vec r## is parallel.

How can we define ""parallel" vectors ? Like in most general way.

I know that when c is positive real number they are definately parallel.But when c is negative still can we call them "parallel".I am thinking yes we can but I need some solid proof

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Proof? It is a matter of definition ...

Orodruin said:
Proof? It is a matter of definition ...
Solid proof of definition.I don't even know that make sense or not but I mean like a definition comes from some general acceptable textbook or from some article etc.Not just an idea but I can show some referance.

1. parallel vectors = parallel lines, defined by these vectors
  2. parallel lines = constant distance at each point
So now, you have to define the distance between two lines. It is here, were the definition plays a role, because there is no universally valid concept of distance. That's why we speak of metrics. Tell me your metric and I will tell you parallelism.

fresh_42 said:
ell me your metric and I will tell you parallelism.
Metric ? I don't know ...

Think like this for simple case. ##\vec u=(1,0,0)## and ##\vec r=(-1,0,0)## Are these vectors parallel ?

In Euclidean space, yes. However, you could either define "parallel" by "constant distance", which I prefer to use, or by "constant distance greater than zero", in which case they wouldn't be parallel. After my fancy, this is an ugly condition, but Euclid probably used this distinction.

fresh_42 said:
In Euclidean space, yes. However, you could either define "parallel" by "constant distance", which I prefer to use, or by "constant distance greater than zero", in which case they wouldn't be parallel. After my fancy, this is an ugly condition, but Euclid probably used this distinction.
Makea sense..I don't know that much of geometry/algebra sadly.But I understand.

What is the definition of parallel vectors?

Parallel vectors are two or more vectors that have the same or opposite direction, but their magnitudes may differ. This means that they lie on the same or parallel lines, and will never intersect.

How do you determine if two vectors are parallel?

To determine if two vectors are parallel, you can use the dot product or cross product. If the dot product of two vectors is equal to zero, then they are perpendicular and not parallel. However, if the cross product of two vectors is equal to zero, then they are parallel.

What is the significance of parallel vectors in physics?

In physics, parallel vectors are significant because they represent the direction and magnitude of physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. They are also important in the study of motion, as parallel vectors can be used to determine the direction and speed of an object.

Can parallel vectors ever intersect?

No, parallel vectors can never intersect. They will always remain on the same or parallel lines, and will never cross each other. If two vectors do intersect, then they are not considered parallel.

How are parallel vectors used in everyday life?

Parallel vectors are used in everyday life in various situations such as navigation, engineering, and architecture. They are also used in computer graphics and animation, as well as in the study of electricity and magnetism.