What's the most you'd ever pay for a cocktail?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
gravenewworld
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
27
So I went to a bar the other day that was quite exclusive, one where you definitely need reservations, and where it looks like the elite of Washington DC go for a few drinks. Lo and behold, days later I come to find out that the place is listed on Travel and Leisure's list of top 10 bars in America. The menu consisted entirely of cocktails, with very limited food options. each drink was $18-25, but they were absolutely delicious. You couldn't even tell there was any alcohol in them. They were quite possibly the best drinks I've ever had in my life. So how much would you fork over for a damn good cocktail?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:
You couldn't even tell there was any alcohol in them.

I've never understood this sentiment. I want mixers that complement, but not cover up, the primary spirit.
 
Evo said:
Five dollars.

Restaurants and bars in Houston vie for which has the best margarita. A five dollar margarita is not a contender. It's barely run of the mill.
 
D H said:
Restaurants and bars in Houston vie for which has the best margarita. A five dollar margarita is not a contender. It's barely run of the mill.
I'm in Kansas, $5 is plenty.
 
gravenewworld said:
So how much would you fork over for a damn good cocktail?

I live in a very affluent area and cocktails are always darn good to drink:biggrin: and fairly expensive. A good majority of the restaurants have a "Happy Hour" that makes it possible to buy a alcoholic drink for half the price. Here's a little secret, you can buy as many drinks as you want for the lower price but you have to pay in advance before the hour is up. This is great because oftentimes several people will place a large order prior to a dinner party of four to eight people. All it takes is one or two people arriving early to place the order (drinks and appetizers at half the price) then ask to have it served when everyone else arrives. :approve: Lately my favorite cocktail is a pomegranate margarita. It costs on the average during happy hour $6.00.

If I have a small party at my home then I'll buy a case (24 bottles - 11.2 fl.oz bottles) of Mike's Classic Margarita that costs me a little over $20.00. It's very good and comes in traditional lime, peach, and raspberry. It contains 5.5% alcohol. Naturally, there is wine, and different alcoholic beverages and non-alcoholic beverages available along with plenty of food and music.
 
Last edited:
If I am paying 18-25 bucks for a drink I better not be able to walk by the halfway through the 2nd one. What do they put in a $20 dollar drink, dragons tears and unicorn sweat? A top shelf vodka and whatever drink where I go is $7 for a tall.
 
Charmar said:
If I am paying 18-25 bucks for a drink I better not be able to walk by the halfway through the 2nd one. What do they put in a $20 dollar drink, dragons tears and unicorn sweat? A top shelf vodka and whatever drink where I go is $7 for a tall.

I along with the people I personally know don't get drunk. A drink could be a cocktail or a glass of wine. A bottle of 1945 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild Jeroboam sold at Christie’s auction for $114,614. A bottle of Macallan Malt Whisky distilled in 1926 costs $38,000. Some fine dining restaurants in Napa Valley or San Francisco tend to serve high-end alcoholic beverages. Basically, it's about the dining experience where you don't guzzle your drink down nor do you get plastered. A dinner can last 3 to 5 hours and is meant to be enjoyed.:smile:
 
Last edited:
I understand the idea behind drinking for the taste, but I can't recall ever having some alcoholic beverage and thought wow that tastes like something worth enjoying slowly (for the alcohol anyway), and I've tried many brands. So the enjoyment comes for me with the effect not the action. Big fan of long dinners though, I can get behind a rare tenderloin any day of the week and enjoy it like it was my last meal. :)