What's the perfect present for a PhD graduate?

• Thread starter parton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, a friend is finishing her PhD and has no idea what to get their friend as a present. They suggest some things that could help, but ultimately suggest a gift card to a restaurant or wine.
parton
Hi!

I have the following problem:

A have a friend who is finishing her PhD and I wanted to give her a present.

Altough I know her for more than 6 years, I have absolutely no idea what to give her.

Here are a few things which could help to find an idea:
- she will work outside physics, so maybe something which "reminds" her of her physics studies?
- she does not like "girlish" things
- she likes cats

I would be glad if some of you have any suggestions :-)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe give her Schrodinger's kitten?

WWGD said:
Maybe give her Schrodinger's kitten?
An alive or dead one? :woot:

EDIT: Here's an image search for Schrödinger's cat t-shirts/clothes.

EDIT 2: Maybe some artwork related to physics? You could order a print/have it printed and framed. Here's a site I found: http://fineartamerica.com/art/paintings/physics/all. I personally only like just a couple on that page, but there are many images, which may give you some idea, perhaps. Personally I like e.g. this one: http://fineartamerica.com/featured/floyd-in-3d-simulation-meir-ezrachi.html.
But tastes vary, of course...:smile:

Last edited:
I'd probably avoid giving her more stuff unless you're fairly certain she'd like it. On the other hand, something like a gift card from a nice restaurant is usually a safe bet, especially if you can pick a place she might have never seriously considered because it was too expensive, etc.

Likes Enigman
A bottle of wine.

Likes vela
Greg Bernhardt said:
Get her a new kitten :)

jk, don't do that. Maybe a cat shirt?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1KAX0Y/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Or maybe a PF T-shirt. A good bottle of wine would be good, unless she doesn't drink alcohol.

Or something related to one of her hobbies, if she has hobbies. I would imagine there are hints in her office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also a nice frame for her PhD certificate is a good idea. Nothing cheap. Nice solid wood, real glass. Sometimes parents end up getting this though, not sure.

Or wine. Get her a nice Barolo(Italian, Piemontese) from the year she started her PhD in.

A Physics Forums https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
parton said:
Hi!
I have the following problem:
A have a friend who is finishing her PhD and I wanted to give her a present.

Altough I know her for more than 6 years, I have absolutely no idea what to give her.

Here are a few things which could help to find an idea:
- she will work outside physics, so maybe something which "reminds" her of her physics studies?
- she does not like "girlish" things
- she likes cats

I would be glad if some of you have any suggestions :-)

Thanks!
I agree with the idea that you'd give her a PF T-shirt which is more memorable. I am sad to hear that she only like cats, always have and always will.
Otherwise you can give her a puppy :angel:.

Related to What's the perfect present for a PhD graduate?

1. What is an appropriate present for someone finishing their PhD?

The appropriate present for someone finishing their PhD can vary depending on personal preferences. It is always a good idea to ask the person what they would like or need. Some common presents include a nice pen, a gift card to a favorite restaurant, or a book related to their field of study.

2. How much should I spend on a present for someone finishing their PhD?

The amount you spend on a present for someone finishing their PhD is ultimately up to you and your budget. It is more important to choose a thoughtful and meaningful gift rather than focusing on the price. You can also consider pooling together with other friends or colleagues to purchase a larger gift.

3. Is it necessary to give a present for someone finishing their PhD?

It is not necessary to give a present for someone finishing their PhD, but it can be a nice gesture to show your support and congratulations. If you are unable to give a physical present, a heartfelt card or message can also be meaningful.

4. Can I give a present that is not related to their field of study?

Yes, you can give a present that is not related to their field of study. While a gift related to their field may be appreciated, it is also nice to give something that reflects their personal interests or hobbies. Ultimately, the most important thing is that the present comes from the heart.

5. Should I give a present before or after the graduation ceremony?

It is completely up to you whether you give a present before or after the graduation ceremony. Some people prefer to give a present before so that the recipient can use it during the ceremony, while others prefer to give it after as a way to mark the occasion. The timing of the gift is not as important as the thought and sentiment behind it.