Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the purpose of havin large tyres in cars

1. Jan 25, 2013 #1
    I've seen that in movies,cars with large tires . What's the purpose of this. Is it used for increasing the speed or the Torque ? With bigger tyres,I found analytically that both parameter would be increased. But would that not violate conservation of energy.
    Please point my mistake and furnish me with knowledge.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They look cool.

4. Jan 26, 2013 #3

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

no Brews...some people think they look cool...:tongue:

5. Jan 26, 2013 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haha good shout, I'll give you that one. My Seven has 13" wheels and looks awesome!

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

My Toyota truck here in Brasil has 16 inch wheels. They help me pass over rocks, small trees, and through streams where there are no roads at all! If the tires were smaller my truck would likely often get stuck.

Cheers,
    Bobbywhy

7. Jan 31, 2013 #6
    Aside from looks, a larger contact patch, lower tire/bearing/drivetrain speeds for the same mph/kph, and the added value of a ride usually reserved for fine dump trucks or hay wagons.

8. Feb 2, 2013 #7
    I'm assuming you're talking about large diameter wheel/low profile tire setups seen on most sports cars and even some old muscle cars these days.

Smaller tire sidewalls increase the handling characteristics of the vehicle i.e. the side walls won't flex as much disallowing the vehicle to wobble. The expense of that is you get a rougher ride.

For a drag car, you want nice tall sloppy sidewalls.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook