How do Center differentials work

In summary, an open differential center diff allows for different power outputs to be delivered to the front and rear wheels, depending on the situation. This is done by changing the final drive ratios.
Heijneker
Greetings all,

In my quest to imagine the ultimate sportscar, I began to wonder about the following:

Certain cars are All Wheel Driven (AWD) and they do so via a Center differential delivering power to both axles. Amongst those cars, some have fixed Torque Bias/Split Ratio, which doesn't alter depending on the situation. I really would like to know how this works.

I read somewhere that these center differential are planetary geared differentials, but the details of the workings were lacking. Now I wonder; how is it possible to have different power outputs at the two output shafts of this planetary gear center differential? Also, how does it allow the two axles to turn at different speeds, like when the car is turning, or as an extreme example, drifting trough a corner while the front tires aren't being overpowered but the rear ones are? (What I mean by that is, the front tires still get the same amount of torque percentage, but are able to put the power down, while the rear tires are being blown to pieces)((And what I mean by that is, rear axle turning, say, 2 times as fast as the front axle))

I couldn't find the correct term to say some of the things I wanted to say, but that is because I'm not a native speaker and am only in the first year of Engineering college. So please excuse me :)

I'm looking forward to your answers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited:
To start with, let's take an "open" differential as a center diff for an example, coupled to open front and rear differentials.
In this case, the torque to each wheel is about 1/4 of the total, and if it breaks loose, the other wheels will not get any more torque than the slipping one.
What is a simple way of changing the bias? You can use different final drive ratios in the front and back, so if you have a 3.55 ratio in the front and a 4.10 ratio in the back, you will effectively reduce the torque on the front tires.. to get additional torque to tires that aren't slipping, you can add limited slip and locking differentials in all 3 locations. Some vehicles will apply braking to a slipping wheel to bias more torque to the ones with traction too

1. How does a center differential distribute power to the wheels?

The center differential is a mechanical component that is responsible for distributing power from the engine to the wheels. It uses a combination of gears and shafts to transfer power from the driveshaft to the front and rear axles. This allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds, which is necessary for turning and driving on uneven surfaces.

2. What is the purpose of a center differential?

The purpose of a center differential is to allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds while still receiving power from the engine. This is essential for all-wheel drive vehicles, as it allows for better traction and stability on various road conditions. It also helps to reduce wear and tear on the drivetrain components.

3. How does a center differential prevent wheel slippage?

A center differential uses a system of clutches or viscous couplings to sense when one wheel is spinning faster than the others. When this happens, it will send more power to the wheels with better traction, preventing slippage. This is especially important when driving on slippery or uneven surfaces.

4. Can a center differential be locked?

Yes, some center differentials have the option to be locked. This means that the amount of power distributed to the front and rear axles is fixed, rather than being variable. This is useful for off-road driving or situations where equal power distribution is necessary, but it can cause handling issues on regular roads.

5. How does a center differential affect handling and performance?

The center differential plays a crucial role in the handling and performance of a vehicle. It allows for better traction and stability in all-wheel drive vehicles, making them more capable in various driving conditions. However, it can also impact the handling and performance of a vehicle if it becomes locked or damaged, so it is essential to maintain and service it regularly.