Whats the record in number of PhDs?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Okki2
  • Start date
In summary, it is rare to find individuals with more than two earned doctorates, especially in technical fields. The maximum number of science/engineering doctorates one can typically find is two, as getting multiple doctorates is discouraged. Joint MD/PhD programs do exist, but they are usually limited to the life sciences. Some notable individuals with multiple doctorates include Michael Griffin, a former NASA administrator, and a professor at Stockholm University with PhDs in both Mathematics and Computer Science. However, it is not common for individuals to pursue multiple doctorates, as it requires a significant time commitment and may not be considered worthwhile in the long run. There are also reports of individuals with multiple doctorates in different fields, such as a German professor with
Okki2
..a single person has had?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean earned PhDs, as the number of honorary doctorates carries much less significance (e.g., the King of Thailand apparently received over a hundred honorary degrees in 1997, including ten doctorates from a single university in Thailand). Daisaku Ikeda apparently has over two hundred honorary doctorates.

The information on earned doctorates is hard to find, as the topic is cluttered with the claims of self-promoters. For example, the fans of a person named Ashok or Ashoka Prasad claim that he has three, six, or eight earned doctorates (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sockpuppet_investigations/Vr/Archive" , for example), but I can't find any confirmation in reputable sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
im talking about legit people. like a person having a phd in ee, plasmaphysics, quantumchemistry and particle physics. Does a acedemic beast like this exist?

cause i know a person that had 2 PhDs (from berkley) one in ee and one in plasma physics.

I suspect two is the maximum number of science/engineering doctorates you'll see (reported by trustworthy people from reputable universities, of course). Getting even two doctorates in technical fields is usually discouraged. I quote from Berkeley's own EECS website:

Students who already hold a doctoral level degree are not admitted and duplication of degree or admission to a lesser degree is not permitted. However, in extraordinary circumstances, the faculty of the department may request an exception from the Dean of the Graduate Division. The department must demonstrate that the second degree field of study and program are distinctly different from that of the original degree, and that there is a professional or scholarly purpose that requires this second degree.

well this guy got them in 60s.

I'm not really sure why one would pursue a second (or more) Ph.D. unless one wanted to completely switch fields. I've seen people enter medical physics with a Ph.D. in some other area of physics, but they usually are happy to get a master's degree and start working. Based on my experience, is does not seem that difficult to get into a post-doc position that's different from your Ph.D. as long as the fields have some reasonably commong ground (and you aren't competing with a pool of others who have more specific backgrounds).

It's not exceptionally common, but there are a fair number of people who pursue joint MD/PhDs. This, of course, is typically for people interested in the life sciences, not for physicists. Most universities that have joint MD/PhD programs would have about 5 or 6 students per year in that program. There are a lot of downsides to getting two doctorates: for one, you have to expect at least 8 more years of school after undergrad, and that's not counting residency, post-doc, etc ad nauseam. I met a guy who's doing an MD/PhD in neurology-related fields, and of course neurosurgeons have about 7+ years of additional training beyond medical school. By his own estimate, he'll be around 40 by the time he begins his career.

I have not really heard of many people getting multiple PhDs. It doesn't seem worthwhile, since if you're going to invest so much of your life into becoming an expert in one field, you should usually stick with that rather than starting over.

I heard the professor on Gilligan's Island has 6 degrees.

Michael Griffin, who was the administrator of NASA until Obama's inauguration, has 1 B.S., 5 masters degrees, and 1 PhD.

Griffin received a bachelor's degree in physics from Johns Hopkins University; a master's degree in aerospace science from Catholic University of America; a Ph.D. in aerospace engineering from the University of Maryland; a master's degree in electrical engineering from the University of Southern California; a master's degree in applied physics from Johns Hopkins University; a master's degree in business administration from Loyola College; and a master's degree in Civil Engineering from George Washington University. He is a certified flight instructor with instrument and multiengine ratings.

A professor at Stockholm University, where I've studied computer science, has a PhD in Mathematics and another in Computer Science.

Last edited:
A number of German professors have two PhDs. The most recent one I have met, probably in his early 40s, had a PhD in computer science and another one in psychology. He went into gifted research when he grew bored of technical fields.

Really? Computer science and psychology? I've never heard of anyone getting two PhDs in subjects that are that far apart. Douglas Hofstadter comes to mind as a person moving from an undergraduate in mathematics, a PhD in physics, moving on to something which I guess could best be described as a mix of cognitive science and philosophy of mind. But he does not have several PhDs.

I had a middle school music teacher who had 3 Ph.D.'s (I don't recall what in). Maybe he was just pulling our leg though - I don't think I even knew what a Ph.D. was back then.

What is the record for the most PhDs held by an individual?

The record for the most PhDs held by one person is not officially tracked by any authoritative body. However, there are individuals known for having multiple PhD degrees, with some having as many as three or four.

Is it common for people to pursue multiple PhDs?

Pursuing multiple PhDs is relatively uncommon. Most academics and professionals choose to specialize in one field and may pursue further education through postdoctoral research, rather than obtaining multiple PhDs.

What motivates individuals to earn multiple PhDs?

Individuals may choose to earn multiple PhDs out of a desire for comprehensive knowledge in multiple fields, personal interest, or specific career objectives that require diverse or extensive expertise.

How long does it typically take to complete multiple PhDs?

Completing a single PhD can take anywhere from 3 to 8 years, depending on the field, institution, and country. Therefore, obtaining multiple PhDs would likely extend over many years of dedicated study and research.

Are there any notable individuals known for having multiple PhDs?

While there are individuals with multiple PhDs, they are relatively rare and often work in highly specialized or academic fields. Specific names are not widely publicized or recognized for this particular achievement alone.

What are the challenges of pursuing multiple PhDs?

Pursuing multiple PhDs can be challenging due to the time, financial, and personal investment required. It also involves balancing extensive research commitments and possibly juggling different academic disciplines.

Does having multiple PhDs provide significant advantages in academic or professional fields?

While multiple PhDs might provide a broad range of expertise, one well-focused PhD combined with practical experience is often more advantageous in both academic and professional fields. The benefits of multiple PhDs depend largely on individual career goals and the fields of study.