What's the secret ingredient in my wife's famous zucchini bread?

  • Thread starter Thread starter heartless
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
64 replies · 29K views
heartless
Messages
220
Reaction score
2
I usually eat a soup, or make a few sandwiches, or eat a fried eggs, or even go and grab a chicken from a nearby fast food, but know we're holding guests in our house. One of them is my aunt's mom, and from then on she cooks a dinner everyday. She always does potatoes with something. Potatoes with fish, potatoes with chop, potatoes with various meat. I like it but I'm not used to that kind of eating. So, what do you usually eat for a dinner?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sunday is the day i go to moms for dinner and take the dog out for a walk,
for dinner we had, roast lamb, yorkshire pudding, carrots and roast potatoes,
with mint sauce and beef gravy, i think sunday is the only day i have a proper meal, most days i have pizzas, chili, baked beans, crispy bacon sarnies, last night i had instant mash with added sardines and cheese spread, oh and onion.
 
Breakfast ...cereal...lunch...cereal or yogurt ...supper...whatever kind of canned soup I have on hand.
 
So, what do you usually eat for a dinner?
Ummm, Food. :rolleyes:
 
For the past month, usually peanut butter. I really need to get out and buy food.
 
Peanut butter!??! I looooooooove peanut butter :D
 
Pengwuino said:
Peanut butter!??! I looooooooove peanut butter :D
CRUNCHY peanut butter. It's getting a bit old having it every night. :frown:
 
Evo said:
CRUNCHY peanut butter. It's getting a bit old having it every night. :frown:

:-p :-p :-p :-p send me some!
 
Evo said:
CRUNCHY peanut butter. It's getting a bit old having it every night. :frown:


I did not know times were that hard Evo, :frown:. Peanut butter does not qualify as food. It's barely passes as a snack. You need some real food.
 
Pengwuino said:
:-p :-p :-p :-p send me some!
<scoops peanut butter into Pengwuino's computer> Oh, my. :redface: That doesn't look good. :blushing:

Perhaps I should have put it in a zip file first. :bugeye:

Sorry Pengwuino. o:)
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
I did not know times were that hard Evo, :frown:. Peanut butter does not qualify as food. It's barely passes as a snack. You need some real food.
I'll pm you my address and you can send me some crabcakes. :smile:
 
I don't think crabcakes mail well, you have to come down to DC if you want crabcakes, sorry.
 
Ramen. And rice. And I have brownies in my mail. i like the way my mail tastes.
 
Yah you guys need to eat some real food!
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
EEEEWWWWW, you people eat some disgusting trash.

Maybe some people do not have the right flower pots :smile:
 
wolram said:
Maybe some people do not have the right flower pots :smile:


Or maybe you need a woman in your life? :devil:

You said your mom cooks on sundays, move back in with your mom, problem solved.
 
It depends on how tired I am when I got home. Usually some small portion of meat (when I buy it, I cut it all down to single servings and freeze it that way so I don't waste a lot, and it's fast to defrost)...the method of cooking and seasoning/sauces vary with mood and time. Either a potato, rice or pasta with it (though sometimes I skip the starch), and some sort of vegetable...at the beginning of the week, that's usually a fresh salad, but near the end of the week, when the fresh veggies have turned not-so-fresh, it's usually something frozen or out of a can.

Sometimes I cook ahead on the weekend and have something for several nights, like tonight I'm making chili (maybe...the chili powder didn't smell very chili-ish, I think it's too old, so I tried adding some other spices, which probably means it's either over-spiced, or is still going to taste flavorless), and last week I made a small pot of beef soup, and the week before I made eggplant parmesan. I especially do that when it's going to be a busy week, as the past two weeks were, so I don't have to cook when I get home, just heat up something. And, some days, I'm just working late, so grab something from the hospital cafeteria (they actually have pretty good food, though it's sometimes a drag if I ate there for lunch and they serve the same thing for both meals). Sometimes I also just snag something pre-cooked from the grocery store...they have decent sushi, which is always easy, or some other pre-made stuff. It's a bit better than fast food, which is the last resort.
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
Or maybe you need a woman in your life? :devil:

You said your mom cooks on sundays, move back in with your mom, problem solved.

I should have 7, all different nationalities, then i could have a varied diet.
 
Pengwuino said:
Yah you guys need to eat some real food!


Real food is for the weak!
 
I just ate rice with nuts and rasins, a piece of chicken, salad and grape juice. Yum.
 
In a few days my finals are over and I get to go home for a few days and eat real food...my mom is making a turkey dinner because I missed easter because of finals. Yum.
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
I just ate rice with nuts and rasins, a piece of chicken, salad and grape juice. Yum.

That sounds so boring and taste less, are you on a diet? it is such a pain when one has to watch what one eats.
 
Hahahah, a brit telling me about taste in food. HAAAAAAAAH!

Im not on a diet. You see, the following are not actually food: Hot dogs, instant (anything), microwave (anything), frozen (anything). It's got loads of taste my friend, trust me. You are too used to motor oil.
 
Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Hahahah, a brit telling me about taste in food. HAAAAAAAAH!
Actually, I really enjoyed the food I had when visiting Britain. The pub food is really good comfort food type stuff. Oh, and I've followed Brewnog's recipe for Bubbles and Squeak a few times too, and I love it! I don't often have enough leftover stuff to put into it, but once in a while, I make a few too many vegetables on purpose, just to make it. It's especially good on a cold, rainy, winter night, which is probably what makes it so very British. :biggrin:

Okay, I just sat down and had my chili. Yummy! I think it's the best chili I've ever made. Now, if I could just remember what all I threw into it. :rolleyes: It had just the right amount of spice to it too...still a bit on the mild side, but very flavorful...that's with two chili peppers, a generous amount of Red Hot, quite a bit of ground red pepper, and hot Italian sausage. I probably could have added a bit more chili pepper. In addition to the chili powder, which might have done something, I added lots of extra cumin and garlic and oregano. The cumin seems to be just the thing. What a delightful flavor it added. Oh, and since I had run out of my usual types of beans for chili, I added chick peas instead...I highly recommend it. Their slightly nutty flavor really enhances the chili. :approve: For throwing together random things thrown in the cupboard and substituting half the recipe because I realized I didn't have the right ingredients after starting, it turned out amazing. :approve: (I just had to write that to get even for everyone making me drool last night over all the tasty food ideas.)
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
Hahahah, a brit telling me about taste in food. HAAAAAAAAH!

Im not on a diet. You see, the following are not actually food: Hot dogs, instant (anything), microwave (anything), frozen (anything). It's got loads of taste my friend, trust me. You are too used to motor oil.

Hmmm, seems one may need ,to eat more.

Thiamine is found in fortified breads, cereals, pasta, whole grains (especially wheat germ), lean meats (especially pork), fish, dried beans, peas, and soybeans.
 
I like chick peas. They are good. But I don't like spicy food at all.

I hate anything and everything spicy. I like sour or tart.
 
Moon B, you just made me dribble on my tee shirt, and erm it is bubble and squeak.
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
I like chick peas. They are good. But I don't like spicy food at all.

I hate anything and everything spicy. I like sour or tart.

Oh poor you, i feel so sorrry for people that can not experience all the wonderfull spices of the world, maybe is you start with a little pepper ?