What's unbelievable about the TV show CSI?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 4K views
Loren Booda
Messages
3,115
Reaction score
4
Crime Scene Investigation offers some gruesome clues and lab wizardry to catch the bad guys. Are you impressed or amused?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the one with the unbelievably powerful Maglites?
 
Or the image enhancer that transforms an unintelligible blur (in this case a smeared nightclub stamp) into crystal-clear evidence.

(The Maglites just now revealed a stuffed human head trophy.)
 
Loren Booda said:
Or the image enhancer that transforms an unintelligible blur (in this case a smeared nightclub stamp) into crystal-clear evidence.
Oooh, yeah they can bring anything into perfect focus.
 
All diagnostics are seamless, equipment beyond state-of-the-art and no clue overlooked. Roll over, Sherlock Holmes.
 
They can solve just about anything given 42 min and commercial breaks.
 
I LOVE csi (the original one at least. I hate the miami and NY spinoffs).
I take it more as a mix between a police drama and a sci-fi show. I mean, most of it is entirely possible in principle; it's just that such technologies (or labs that would afford all that) don't exist ... it's also understandable why they would want such a small cast of characters investigating everything instead of a realistic larger team... I mean, it's still a show that has to entertain with all the character love triangles, drama, and all that good stuff.

It's really one of the only shows I follow religiously (south park, daily show/colbert, and house). Other than the somewhat improbable technology they use, the characters are great, and the mystery is still engaging. I just approach it as a borderline sci-fi premise.

Many of the cases are actually based on real-life cases (which were NOT solved in a day like they do on the show, obviously)

Loren Booda said:
Or the image enhancer that transforms an unintelligible blur (in this case a smeared nightclub stamp) into crystal-clear evidence.

(The Maglites just now revealed a stuffed human head trophy.)

I HATE THAT THING! agh, every time they use it it makes me cringe... their research department should tell the writers that, when you enlarge a bunch of pixels, all you get is: A BUNCH OF REALLY BIG PIXELS.— or you can use special graphics software that turns those really big pixels into really big and blurry pixels... that's about as good as it gets.

They use it on CSI miami a lot more, they've stopped using it as much on vegas. which is good because miami csi sucks so I don't really care.
 
They had this real CSI show once on (A&E)? From a detectives standpoint. They would film on location like cops and actually show real dead bodies on the street. It was the real deal. You'd see some dead siff guy pale white laying on the road before they put a body bag on him. I think the detectives had 48 hours to solve the crime because after that the leads become too cold.
 
Last edited:
I'm trying to remember which show I watched recently where the investigator was looking at a really blurred security camera video and shouted "stop! what is that?" They zoom in on a button on the victim's coat and there is a tiny spot. They zoom into the spot, do some magic, and lo and behold, there is a perfect image of the perpetrator reflected in the shiny button. :rolleyes:

The fact that the video was so bad that they couldn't make out life size images didn't stop them from being able to get a high resolution picture from the button.
 
Evo said:
They zoom in on a button on the victim's coat and there is a tiny spot. They zoom into the spot, do some magic, and lo and behold, there is a perfect image of the perpetrator reflected in the shiny button. :rolleyes:
In Bladerunner they go around a corner into another room in the picture - but that is a SciFi movie so it could be a hologram (not really)
 
I pretty much agree with Moe, except that I like the spin-offs and can't stand South Park. It's good entertainment. I really like 'The New Detectives' as well, which are re-enactments of real criminal forensic investigations.
Cyrus, I believe that the show you refer to is 'The First 48'. It airs here a couple of times a week, but I've only seen a few episodes due to conflicts. Good stuff.