What's wrong with this function

• Thread starter MHD93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is about a function created to calculate the square root of 2 using an iterative approach. However, the function is not well-defined for any nonzero value and relies on floating point rounding to calculate the other values. This leads to the incorrect result of 1 = 2 + 1 = 3. One person suggests using numerical analysis to account for the physical representation of numbers in a computer. Another person proposes a different function that accurately reproduces the continued fraction expansion of sqrt(2). However, it is noted that this method requires the function to be continuous and can lead to disregarding the fact that the original function does work.
MHD93
Hello

What follows is one way of calculating the square root of 2, as Wikipedia shows:
dc9b983d9e07314a6a8eae8dac8fea82.png

I built the following function as an attempt to express the calculation:

f(x) = 2 + 1 / f(x/2) if x is not 0
f(x) = 1 if x is 0

then square root of 2 = 1 + 1 / f(1)

I used the preceding approach to find the square root of 2, using C++, and it worked..
But the problem is that I have a way for showing that it's wrong!

What's wrong with that function, how can I convince myself logically!?
Thanks for help.. in advance.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Something is missing. What is f(x)?

mathman said:
Something is missing. What is f(x)?

well, if f(0) = 1. The function relies on floating point rounding to calculate the other values of f(x).

willem2 said:
well, if f(0) = 1. The function relies on floating point rounding to calculate the other values of f(x).

Just curious ... I don't know anything about numerical analysis. To analyze a function like this, do we need to be told the value of N such that 1/N = 0?

f(x) = 1 if x is 0
This is uncorrect because :
you write (for x=0) f(0) = 1
and f(0) = 2 + 1/f(0)
since f(0)=1 your assuption is 1 = 2 + 1 = 3

He says "f(x) = 2 + 1 / f(x/2) if x is not 0".

But I still don't see a definition of f(x) when x is not 0.

He says "f(x) = 2 + 1 / f(x/2) if x is not 0".
Yes, you are right.

Last edited:
I built the following function as an attempt to express the calculation:
f(x) = 1 if x is 0
In fact, it isn't the right way.
Let define a function so that g(x)=1/(2+g(x)) any x
So that the infinite fraction is y = 1 + g(x)
What is the function g(x) ?
g(x)=1/(2+g(x))
g(x) (2+g(x)) = 1
(g(x))² + 2g(x) -1 = 0
Solving leads to
g(x) = -1 +(+or-)sqt(1+1)
The positive root is :
g(x) = -1+sqrt(2)
So, the function g(x) is constant.
y = 1 + g(x) = 1 +(-1+sqrt(2))
y = sqrt(2)
The value of the infinite fraction is sqrt(2)

Thanks for replies..

Many said "what is f(x)".. "it's not defined when x isn't 0"..

Actually, I see that it's defined.. here's a similar one:

{
g(x) = g(x/2) if x isn't zero
g(0) = 1
}

Let's try to find g(1)

Well.. by definition: g(1) = g(1/2) = g(1/4) = g(1/8) ...
In the end.. and after infinitely many steps.. doesn't the number between parentheses have to be 0, and then g(1) = g(0) = 1

??

That's the method I'm thinking about.. is it right?

Mohammad_93 said:
Thanks for replies..

{
g(0) = 1
}

Let's try to find g(1)

In the end.. and after infinitely many steps.. doesn't the number between parentheses have to be 0, and then g(1) = g(0) = 1

??

I think that is pretty clever. You used your BRAIN to come up with a logical definition for f(0).:smile:

Mohammad_93 said:
Thanks for replies..

{
g(0) = 1
}

Let's try to find g(1)

??

No, it's not right. Your function is not well-defined for any nonzero value. That's why the only way it makes sense is in the context of numerical analysis, when on some particular hardware, 1/N = 0 for sufficiently large N.

If your domain is the real numbers and you are using ordinary real number arithmetic, then how are you going to compute f(1)? You would have to do infinitely many operations and take a limit. That's not a valid definition of a function.

In a real world, physical computer, at some point 1/N is zero. That's numerical analysis ... when you take into account the physical representation of numbers in a computer.

Mohammad_93 said:

??

That method requires that g is continuous. An extra assumption.

If your method reproduces the continued fraction expansion of sqrt(2) then i don't see anything wrong with using it.

I used your iterative function to reproduce the continued fraction expansion of sqrt(2) by hand, on paper.

If you are going to focus on technicalities why it shouldn't work then you are in danger of disregarding the fact that it DOES work.

It's sort of like grounding a plane because one of the passenger seats is missing...:smile:

Last edited:

1. What does this function do?

This question is often asked when someone is trying to understand the purpose of a function. Functions are blocks of code that perform a specific task when called. They can take in inputs, perform operations, and return outputs.

2. Why isn't this function working?

This question is usually asked when a function is not producing the expected results. There could be multiple reasons why a function is not working, such as incorrect syntax, incorrect logic, or missing parameters. It's important to carefully review the code and troubleshoot any potential issues.

3. How do I fix this function?

This is a common question when a function is not working as intended. To fix a function, you'll need to identify the root cause of the issue. This could involve debugging the code, reviewing documentation, or seeking help from others. Once you have identified the problem, you can make the necessary changes to the function to fix it.

4. What is the difference between a function and a method?

Functions and methods are both blocks of code that perform a specific task. The main difference is that a function can be called independently, while a method is always associated with an object. Methods are typically used in object-oriented programming languages, while functions can be used in any programming language.

5. Can I use this function in my code?

This question is often asked by someone who wants to incorporate a function into their own code. The answer will depend on the specific function and its purpose. Some functions may be publicly available for anyone to use, while others may be proprietary and require permission or a license to use. It's important to check the documentation or reach out to the creator of the function for clarification.