What's your brain break activity?

In summary, going to the beach can take only about 15 minutes to be a refreshing brain break, working out is a great way to refresh your brain, and reading material that nobody takes seriously is a great way to refresh your brain.
houlahound
Some activity you do while working to refresh your brain. It is actually a serious thing. I encourage anyone not familiar to learn about.

I have desktop versions of field sports I play eg miniature basketball hoop, Velcro dart board, desktop catapults, and some mindless funny YouTube sub's eg boogie298, don't feel sorry for him, he is a fictous character based on a composite of gamers. Here he is destroying the most hyped space game ever released on the market ;

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does posting on this forum count?

Likes houlahound and ProfuselyQuarky
Yes most definitely.

Going to the beach to feel the salt and the wind and playing the ukulele. I’d say reading comics, too, but I get so into it that it’s probably not a brain refresher :( Also, recently, I mess around with basic abstract algebra topics because it’s fun and a lot different compared to the math I’m doing for school.

Likes houlahound
Good things but a trip to the beach is prolly to major to qualify as a brain break.

Should be only about 15min max.

houlahound said:
Good things but a trip to the beach is prolly to major to qualify as a brain break.

Should be only about 15min max.
For me, going to the beach can, in fact, take only about 15 minutes, if that's what you like.

Lucky you, I live about 300 miles from the coast. My dogs have never seen the beach even.

houlahound said:
Lucky you, I live about 300 miles from the coast. My dogs have never seen the beach even.
There's no luck! I'll never have a chance to see a moose here and seeing a moose in the wild would be lit :frown:. But I digress...

Likes 1oldman2 and houlahound
Reddit.

Likes houlahound
houlahound said:
Some activity you do while working to refresh your brain. It is actually a serious thing. I encourage anyone not familiar to learn about.

I have desktop versions of field sports I play eg miniature basketball hoop, Velcro dart board, desktop catapults, and some mindless funny YouTube sub's eg boogie298, don't feel sorry for him, he is a fictous character based on a composite of gamers. Here he is destroying the most hyped space game ever released on the market ;

So, you laugh at fat people? :D joking

What else are they good for??

At work: I go on Reddit or Youtube. When on Youtube, it's mostly educational, with some dumb funny things mixed in. What I do depends on how exactly I've stressed my brain out. If I've spent all day doing complex math, the thing that relaxes me the best is going to an SAT prep site and filling in the math section. Simple math relieves my brain from harder math.

At home, I work out, or meditate. Playing the guitar or painting is the best defrag I've found though.

this is what I do: I always delete my models so these are not my best. It is an escape from reality.
xv5fGAP.png

houlahound said:
Some activity you do while working to refresh your brain.

What about combinatorial semantics ?

An activity done while working at some job ? - such that the goal of the activity is to refresh your brain at the same time you are working on the job.

An activity done while your task consists of working to refresh your brain? - such that the activity itself is not the work of refreshing your brain.

An activity to mentally recoup your brain while you are at work but the activity is not the work you are doing.

I thought the examples made it obvious.

houlahound said:
An activity to mentally recoup your brain while you are at work but the activity is not the work you are doing.

...and you are "at work" in the sense of being in the location where you do work, but not "at work" in the sense of doing work - unless you can simultaneously do a recreational activity and do your work.

I'm retired, so I'm never "at work" in either sense. My suggestion for an activity to refresh you brain is "combinatorial semantics". Look at some written material that pertains to you work, but that nobody takes seriously -such as "mission statements", emails from HR department etc. Read a sentence and see how many different interpretations of it are possible.

You can't be accused of goofing-off at work if you are reading material that you were supposed to read.

Nothing refreshes my brain more than catching up on my sleep. If I am working on a problem at home and I start to feel tired, I no longer fight it. I take a nap. Maybe it's only 15 minutes. But it helps tremendously.

If I'm not tired but just want to relax mentally, then I may do some web surfing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I break up long study sessions by walking my dog, doing a quick workout, or just taking a walk myself.

With full time work and classes on top of that, things get hectic and stressful. Playing on a coed soccer team Tuesday evenings and hockey on Sundays is a good weekly get-away.

Can't prove it but I think good nutrition, adequate sleep and physical activity make brain more gooder.

Russian roulette for me! :redface:

Here's a silly response perhaps. But I wonder if anyone has tried biofeedback techniques, such as monitoring your brain waves and trying to put them into the desired state?

Not so much monitoring them but I know a lot of people that do excecises to achieve certain brain states.

Becoming very trendy in the corporate/executive world.

houlahound said:

I thought the examples made it obvious.

From my extensive background in uhhh.. reading pop-sci articles about neuroscience... My understanding is that taking time away from a certain cognitively heavy activity (like studying) to do something else let's your brain make some of the connections it can't make when you are focused. The activity you do can still involve study or something that requires thought, but the less related it is to your main activity the better.

-Dave K

Likes Logical Dog

1. What is a brain break activity?

A brain break activity is a short and intentional break that is designed to give your brain a rest from intense cognitive tasks. It usually involves engaging in a physical activity or taking a mental break to help improve focus and productivity.

2. Why is it important to take brain breaks?

Research has shown that taking regular brain breaks can improve cognitive performance, creativity, and overall well-being. It also helps prevent burnout and reduces stress and fatigue.

3. How long should a brain break last?

The duration of a brain break may vary depending on the individual and the activity. Generally, a brain break should last between 5-15 minutes, but it can also be shorter or longer depending on personal preference. The key is to find a duration that works best for you and allows you to come back to your task feeling refreshed and energized.

4. What are some examples of brain break activities?

There are many different types of brain break activities, and they can vary from person to person. Some examples include taking a short walk, doing a quick stretch, playing a game, practicing mindfulness or deep breathing, or simply closing your eyes and resting for a few minutes.

5. When is the best time to take a brain break?

The best time to take a brain break is when you start feeling mentally fatigued or when you find yourself losing focus and productivity. It's also beneficial to take short brain breaks throughout the day, especially if you have a lot of intense cognitive tasks to complete. However, the timing of brain breaks may also depend on personal preference and the individual's schedule and workload.

Back