What's your favorite science film and why?

In summary, the best science film is Good Will Hunting, while pi is not very amazing, it's one of those numbers that just is. Kiwi was a crazy scientist, while pi is not very amazing anyway, it's one of those numbers that just is. The dinos in Jurassic Park didnt have feathers bah. gattaca is also a good film, while aliens might be the best science film.
There was this nice movie called "Real Genius" that had lots of stuff (some wildly inaccurate) about lasers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Anyone explain what the hell Solaris was all about?
Solaris (the ocean) was alive, able to read minds, decode, understand and selectively materialize thoughts. So, at some point, it decided to play with its new company. If I remeber it right, in the end it made copies of some people who died, and they returned to Earth. edit: more words at wiki

Last edited:
whatta said:
Solaris (the ocean) was alive, able to read minds, decode, understand and selectively materialize thoughts. So, at some point, it decided to play with its new company. If I remeber it right, in the end it made copies of some people who died, and they returned to Earth. edit: more words at wiki

Pity they never conveyed this in the film, to me it just seemed a mess of odd thoughts with nothing coherent at the end, perhaps I shouldn't have drifted in and out as I got steadilly more bored and more bemused?

I watched Solaris recently and loved it!

Ivan Seeking said:
I watched Solaris recently and loved it!

Maybe now I get what is going on I'll watch it again, I kind of got the idea though the first time, but it seemed too actionless and lost a lot in translation from book to film probably? Like once you got the idea that it was alive? And?

Last edited: