When an operator can be written in different ways, it seems to affect its partial derivative, resulting in contradicting expectation values

In summary: H}^{\dagger}|\psi(t) \rangle+\langle \psi(t) |\hat{H}^{\dagger}|(\partial_t \psi(t) \rangle))=v.In summary, the contradiction arises because the two different answers to the partial derivative ∂Q/∂t are not equal.
Happiness
Suppose Q=2x+t and x=t2, then ∂Q/∂t=1.
But Q can also be written as Q=x+t2+t, then ∂Q/∂t=2t+1.
We now have 2 different answers. But I think there can only be one correct answer.

In reference to the equation in the image, no matter we write Q=2x+t or Q=x+t2+t, <Q> should be the same, so the LHS should be the same. But when we have 2 different answers for ∂Q/∂t, the RHS would not be the same. So we have a contradiction.

Q is an observable of a quantum system. LHS stands for left hand side of the equation.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 3.54.33 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 3.54.33 AM.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 51
Physics news on Phys.org
Happiness said:
then ∂Q/∂t=1

No, because x is also a function of t so it's derivative is not 0.

Likes Vanadium 50 and DrClaude
weirdoguy said:
No, because x is also a function of t so it's derivative is not 0.
∂Q/∂t refers to the partial derivative, not the total derivative. The book goes on to talk about operators that explicitly depend on time (see attached images).

In doing the partial derivative ∂Q/∂t, we do not care about how x depends on t, but only how Q explicitly depends on t.

But no matter how you write Q, <Q> and hence the LHS should be the same, while the RHS are not the same, hence the contradiction.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 6.10.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 6.10.31 PM.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 6.10.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 6.10.50 PM.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 49
Happiness said:
In doing the partial derivative ∂Q/∂t, we do not care about how x depends on t, but only how Q explicitly depends on t.
A partial derivative is a derivative with respect to a variable where other variables are held constant. If ##x=t^2##, then ##x## isn't held constant.

Note that this has nothing to do with quantum mechanics. It is calculus. For a given ##f(x,y)##, ##\partial f / \partial y## can have only one solution.

Likes mattt, malawi_glenn, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
DrClaude said:
A partial derivative is a derivative with respect to a variable where other variables are held constant. If ##x=t^2##, then ##x## isn't held constant.

Note that this has nothing to do with quantum mechanics. It is calculus. For a given ##f(x,y)##, ##\partial f / \partial y## can have only one solution.
Let's consider the Q in footnote 22 (see image).
Q=##\frac{1}{2}##mω2x2, where ω is a function of t.
Then is ∂Q/∂t = mω##\frac{dω}{dt}##x2?

Even though for simple harmonic motion, x is also a function of t (ie. x=x0##\sin##(ωt), where x0 is the amplitude), we do not care how x depends on t when calculating ∂Q/∂t. Is this correct?

I think, in quantum mechanics, it would be more accurate to say <x>=x0##\sin##(ωt). But I don't know whether this point helps in this discussion. After all, it doesn't seem to affect the value of <Q> in my original post, where Q=2x+t, so <Q>=2<x>+t. Is this correct?

(In my original post, instead of x=t2, it would be more accurate to say <x>=t2. But this doesn't seem to change the value of <Q>. So it doesn't seem to resolve the contradiction.)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 6.10.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 6.10.50 PM.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Happiness said:
Even though for simple harmonic motion, x is also a function of t (ie. x=x0sin(ωt), where x0 is the amplitude), we do not care how x depends on t when calculating ∂Q/∂t. Is this correct?
That's not correct. ##x## is here the coordinate (in position representation; more generically, it would have been better to use here ##\hat{x}##, the position operator). It has no time dependence. For a quantum mechanics oscillator, its position is in its state, that is, in its wave function. What you would have is
$$
\braket{x} = \braket{\psi(t) | \hat{x} | \psi(t)} = x_0 \sin(\omega t).
$$

Happiness said:
In doing the partial derivative ∂Q/∂t, we do not care about how x depends on t

Of course we do, otherwise we run into problems, as you can see yourself.

First one has to clarify things, because the OP makes no sense to begin with. One should note that in QM ##t## is not an observable and thus not an operator but, of course, the position ##x## is, and it's represented by a self-adjoint operator ##\hat{x}##.

Now in the Schrödinger picture of time evolution (pure) states are represented by time-dependent state vectors ##|\psi(t) \rangle##, which fulfill the Schrödinger equation,
$$\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t |\psi(t) \rangle=\hat{H} |\psi(t) \rangle, \qquad(1)$$
where ##\hat{H}## is the Hamilton operator of the system. It's also a self-adjoint operator and represents the total energy of the system. Taking the adjoint of this equation, you get
$$-\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t \langle \psi(t) \rangle =\langle \psi(t) |\hat{H}^{\dagger}=\langle \psi(t) | \hat{H}. \qquad (2)$$

Note that in the Schrödinger picture ##\hat{x}## is not dependent on time. So the question is how to define the velocity ##v##, which in classical physics is defined as the time derivative of ##x## along the trajectory of the particle. In QM we like ##\hat{v}## to be a self-adjoint operator for which
$$\langle v \rangle=\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \langle x \rangle.$$
Now the expectation value for the system in the state represented by ##|\psi(t) \rangle## is given by
$$\langle x \rangle=\langle \psi(t)|\hat{x}|\psi(t) \rangle,$$
and we can calculate the time derivative, using the Eqs. (1) and (2):
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} = (\partial_t \langle \psi(t)|\hat{x}|\psi(t) \rangle + \langle \psi(t) |\hat{x}|(\partial_t \psi(t) \rangle) = \frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} (\langle \psi(t)| \hat{H} \hat{x}|\psi(t) \rangle - \langle \psi(t)|\hat{x} \hat{H}|\psi(t) \rangle=\langle \psi(t)| \mathrm{i}/\hbar [\hat{H},\hat{x}]|\psi(t).$$
Since this should hold true for all ##|\psi(t) \rangle## we conclude that
$$\hat{v}=\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} [\hat{H},\hat{x}] = \frac{1}{\mathrm{i} \hbar} [\hat{x},\hat{H}],$$
is the operator that represents the velocity. One thus defines a "covariant time dervative" for operators that represent an observable by
$$\mathring{\hat{A}}(\hat{x},\hat{p})=\frac{1}{\mathrm{i} \hbar} [\hat{A}(\hat{x},\hat{p}),\hat{H}].$$
If you have an operator that also explicitly depends on time, then you have of course also the corresponding partial time derivative, i.e.,
$$\mathring{\hat{Q}}(\hat{x},\hat{p},t)
=\frac{1}{\mathrm{i} \hbar} [\hat{Q}(\hat{x},\hat{p}),\hat{H}] + \partial_t \hat{Q}(\hat{x},\hat{p},t).$$

Last edited:

1. How does writing an operator in different ways affect its partial derivative?

Writing an operator in different ways can change the way its partial derivative is calculated. This is because different forms of the operator may have different mathematical properties that affect the resulting derivative.

2. Why do different forms of an operator result in contradicting expectation values?

Different forms of an operator can result in contradicting expectation values because they may represent different physical quantities or have different measurement outcomes. This can lead to discrepancies in the expected values calculated for a given system.

3. Can you provide an example of an operator written in different ways affecting its partial derivative?

One example is the position operator in quantum mechanics, which can be written as x or -iħ∂/∂p. These two forms result in different partial derivatives, which can affect the calculation of expectation values for position-dependent observables.

4. How can we determine which form of an operator to use for calculating expectation values?

The choice of which form of an operator to use for calculating expectation values depends on the specific problem at hand and the physical quantities being measured. It is important to carefully consider the properties and implications of each form before making a decision.

5. Are there any cases where writing an operator in different ways does not affect its partial derivative?

Yes, there are cases where writing an operator in different ways does not affect its partial derivative. This can occur when the different forms of the operator are mathematically equivalent and have the same physical interpretation. In these cases, the resulting expectation values will also be the same.