When can we say something is fully understood?

• Thread starter Deepak K Kapur
  • Start date
In summary: I don't think so. Fully understanding something implies correctness, but models and concepts can change. Approaching the 20th century there was a feeling that we fully understood the universe. and more than a hundred years latter we have more than a order of magnitude more physicists working on problems whose number seem to be ever expanding. Maybe we should aspire to grok?The meaning of "grokking" is up for interpretation, but I think it would be more accurate to say that we are constantly trying to understand something even if we never achieve full understanding.
Deepak K Kapur
My friend told me that the process of common salt preparation is fully understood...

I asked him how come there's a loss and gain of electrons in this process..

He told me because of attraction and repulsion.

I asked him how does attraction and repulsion take place between charged particles...

He told me that is because of exchange of virtual particles.

I again asked him what is the reason that virtual particles come into play when two charged particles approach each other...

He said its a given.

So, how can we say that NaCl is fully understood??

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deepak K Kapur said:
how can we say that NaCl is fully understood??

We can't.

A scientist would say never, but as an engineer I'd say it depends on your required accuracy/error margin.

'Never'!

Isn't this like being lost in a desert?

. ..depressing and fruitless...

Deepak K Kapur said:
'Never'!

You sound like Woody Allen in most of his movies :biggrin:

Likes phinds, BillTre, davenn and 1 other person
Deepak K Kapur said:
'Never'!

See Russ's answer above. You don't need full understanding of something in order to make progress in working with it.

If someone throws a rock at my head, I don't need to understand the full physics of ballistic trajectories and air resistance. I can get by just fine with an approximation - moving my head out of the way fast enough so as not to get hit.

Likes cnh1995
Choppy said:
See Russ's answer above. You don't need full understanding of something in order to make progress in working with it.

If someone throws a rock at my head, I don't need to understand the full physics of ballistic trajectories and air resistance. I can get by just fine with an approximation - moving my head out of the way fast enough so as not to get hit.

Not arguing, just discussing..

So, is this being...

1. Positive

2. Practical

3. Just a defence mechanism because we want to live and progress at any cost.

And...

How to give preference to any of the scenarios above?

Does everything just boil down to a particular VIEW POINT??

Deepak K Kapur said:
Does everything just boil down to a particular VIEW POINT??

Deepak, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.
:wink:

Likes Ibix and russ_watters
Deepak K Kapur said:
'Never'!

No, actually what it means is that scientists will always have jobs because science will never be finished. And that's ok - even if science were to be declared finished, no one scientist would be expecting to be the guy/gal who finished it anyway. So it doesn't change anything about their perspective.

russ_watters said:
No, actually what it means is that scientists will always have jobs because science will never be finished. And that's ok - even if science were to be declared finished, no one scientist would be expecting to be the guy/gal who finished it anyway. So it doesn't change anything about their perspective.

What about striking at something that has always been in existence with all its features/properties...

So, no more jobs!

Deepak K Kapur said:
He told me that is because of exchange of virtual particles.
It is a possible model, but a bad one for various theoretical reasons. Describing it with fields works much better.
Anyway, physics cannot answer "why" questions on a fundamental level. We could live in a universe with different laws of physics, there is no particular reason why the laws should be exactly as they are.

There are so many open questions in science, and usually answering one leads to several new ones, so I don't think science will be "done" in the foreseeable future.

The primary focus of physics is to answer the question of how something happens which is done within the framework of a model or concept. We "fully understand" something if the result found.is predicted from logical reasoning based on our model or concept. However fully understanding is not imply correctness as models or concepts can change. Approaching the 20th century there was a feeling that we fully understood the universe. and more than a hundred years latter we have more than a order of magnitude more physicists working on problems whose number seem to be ever expanding.

1. When can we confidently claim that we understand something?

Fully understanding something means having a comprehensive understanding of all its components and being able to explain it clearly and accurately. This level of understanding is typically achieved through in-depth research, experimentation, and analysis.

2. How do we know when we have reached a complete understanding of a complex topic?

Complete understanding of a complex topic is often a subjective concept and can vary depending on the individual. However, a good indication of complete understanding is being able to effectively apply the knowledge in various situations and explain it in a simple and concise manner.

3. Can we ever truly claim to fully understand a concept or phenomenon?

It is important to recognize that knowledge and understanding are constantly evolving. As scientists, we can come close to a full understanding of a concept or phenomenon, but it is always possible for new information or perspectives to emerge that may change our understanding.

4. How do we determine if our understanding of a topic is accurate?

In science, accuracy is determined through rigorous testing and validation of theories and hypotheses. This involves using reliable and replicable methods, analyzing data, and seeking input from other experts in the field.

5. Is it necessary for everyone to have a complete understanding of a topic?

While it is beneficial for individuals to have a basic understanding of various topics, it is not always necessary for everyone to have a complete understanding. In science, specialization allows for individuals to focus on specific areas and contribute to the collective understanding of a topic. However, it is important for scientists to effectively communicate their findings and educate the public about important concepts.