Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When do reactive moments appear?

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
    Hello:
    I have some questions regarding what books say about reactive moments when dealing with journal bearings and such.
    For example:http://[ATTACH=full]200072[/ATTACH] [url=http://postimage.org/][ATTACH=full]200073[/ATTACH]

What I'm looking for is an explanation as to why the moments can be set to zero. We never do that in 2 dimensions!
    I would be grateful for any enlightening thoughts.
    Regards

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2016 #2
    If you're talking about like in (7) there for example, why would there be a reaction on the shaft if it is free to spin, neglecting friction, if there's no load?

4. Apr 13, 2016 #3
    Reactions happen when motion is restricted. Imagine all these things are made of spaghetti, what would break and what would stay intact and in which directions?

5. Apr 13, 2016 #4
    I understand force and moment reactions must appear. ( but I'm *only* talking about moment reactions).

My point is that... I don't see why SOMETIMES they appear (the text says when other supports are present they don't appear). and why this has to be so tricky.
    In 2D, if we have two supports, say two hinges, force reactions always are considered and if there's not enough data, it's statically indeterminate. Here we can set *moment* ractions to zero if there are other supports... I don't understand that.

I also understand that if there's no load they shouldnt appear. But in a general structure? sometimes we don't even know if its gonna be nonzero.

6. Apr 15, 2016 #5
    Try to visualize what is going on in the specific situation rather than try to follow some set of rules. Sometimes in 2d problems one support is modeled as a roller to exclude a reaction in the horizontal direction, because certain problems have more unknowns than equations and you'd need to introduce equations for the stiffness of the material to solve it. They simplify it that way before you get to material property stuff.

Look at the difference between 6 and 7. The square shaft is for translational motion and there is no reaction in the y direction. It is free to move back and forth in the y direction and happens to have no reaction in y. The circular shaft is free to rotate about the y axis and happens to not have any moment reaction about the y axis. Noticing the pattern?

7. Apr 15, 2016 #6
    If you have hinges free to rotate there are no moment reactions

8. Apr 15, 2016 #7
    Set to 0 sounds misleading because there is no reaction in the first place

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted