Moment and the Larmor precession

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and application of the magnetic moment in the Larmor precession. It is mentioned that the traditional definition, which involves current, may not be accurate in this scenario due to the lack of a loop in the electron's trajectory. The question is raised whether the magnetic moment can still be used in the Newton second law and if the Larmor equation is valid at the quantum level. The other person clarifies that they have only used the equation in the classical limit and are unsure if it applies to a single electron orbiting a fixed nucleus.
enigmation
Hi,

In the Larmor precession, we tend to define the magnetic moment as the current multiplied by the surface (for an electron rotating around a nucleus), sometimes this moment is defined (generally) as the sum of the vectoriel products of half of the position vector and the charge times the velocity. But once we apply a magnetic field for the case of a unique electron, the "magnetic moment" starts rotating around the z-axis and the trajectory of the electron is no longer a circle. Now the obvious thing is that there is no average "current", because there is no loop (the electron starts to move in a quite different circular paths and never comes back to an earlier position), so the definition of the magnetic moment that uses the current is not correct in the Larmor precession, unless we consider that the electron period of rotation around the nucleus is negligible with respect to the Larmor period, which gives quite the same trajectory when there is no magnetic field. The problem in general is, are we still allowed to use the magnetic moment in, the Newton second law (the moment appears in the couple) and then deduce the famous larmor equation by substituting the angular momentum by the gyromagnetic relation? And what is the exact definition of the magnetic moment? To sum up, do you think that there are some circumstances (time scale for example) at which there is a problematic in the Larmor equation that gives the precession the magnetic moment?Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
enigmation said:
But once we apply a magnetic field for the case of a unique electron
I am not sure that Larmor precession makes sense at that level. I have only ever treated Larmor precession in the classical limit. Is it a valid equation at the quantum level?

Dale said:
I am not sure that Larmor precession makes sense at that level. I have only ever treated Larmor precession in the classical limit. Is it a valid equation at the quantum level?

I mean when there is a unique electron orbiting a fixed nucleus.

Yes, that is what I understood that you meant. I have never used the Larmor equation to describe a unique electron orbiting a fixed nucleus. I have only used it under the usual classical limit to model the expectation of a large number of spins. I am not sure that it applies to your scenario.

1. What is the moment of a particle?

The moment of a particle is a measure of its rotational inertia, or its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is represented by the symbol μ and is calculated by multiplying the mass of the particle by its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. What is the Larmor precession?

The Larmor precession, also known as Larmor frequency, is the precession (or rotation) of the magnetic moment of a particle around an external magnetic field. This phenomenon occurs due to the interaction between the particle's magnetic moment and the external magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the Larmor precession?

The Larmor precession is affected by the strength and direction of the external magnetic field, as well as the magnetic moment of the particle. Additionally, the mass and charge of the particle can also have an impact on the Larmor precession.

4. How is the Larmor precession used in scientific research?

The Larmor precession is commonly used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques to study the structure and properties of molecules. It is also used in particle physics experiments to study the properties of subatomic particles.

5. Can the Larmor precession be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Larmor precession can be observed in everyday life in the form of compass needles aligning with the Earth's magnetic field. It is also used in the technology of magnetic storage devices, such as hard drives and credit cards.