When force is applied to the abdominal area . . .

• Thread starter kryptos
  • Start date
. . . what happens?

From my admittedly limited knowledge of boxing -- perhaps applicable because of its nickname, the "sweet science" -- I know that impact to the stomach constricts the organs somewhat and makes it harder to breathe. But why? Is the body trying to lessen damage to the vitals by tightening? Does the impact simply force the air out upwards? Or are the lungs actually damaged somehow?

This is just out of curiosity, so no rush. Sorry if it's a stupid question. ^^;; I'm particularly interested in why the effect is greater with impact to the solar plexus, as well.

Last edited:

Ouabache

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Having the wind knocked out of you!! :surprised

A quick websearch yields this explanation.
Your diaphram muscle, which sits just below your lungs, goes into a spasm and prevents you from inhaling.

"According to one doctor as well as the ever-useful Straight Dope column, it's all about your diaphragm. This dome-shaped muscle sits below your lungs, and it helps your windbags inhale and exhale. When you get hit in the abdomen, this can cause a pressure difference that makes your diaphragm spasm for a few seconds. You can't catch your breath until the spasm stops. "
ref

Mk

I don't like getting punched in the stomach. It's unpleasant.

Ohh. I see.

Thanks a lot, Quabache! I didn't catch that anywhere on a normal search for some reason. :\

And yes, MK. I wholeheartedly agree. Funny story about that, actually . . . but maybe another time. :P