When is Energy/Momentum/Angular Momentum really conserved?

In summary: If you take the center of mass of the block-rod system as the reference axis (which is a perfectly valid reference axis to choose) then the angular momentum of the block-rod system is not conserved.
minimario

Homework Statement

So during collisions between 2 point masses, I know that momentum is always conserved, but energy may or may not be conserved.
i-4ff5e541650f789e29600e929d1c96a5-inelastic-1.jpg

Now, in this case, where we have a block colliding with a pivoted rod, I know that angular momentum is always conserved, but neither energy or momentum is.
5b75fdc23787492183abe2963b37f88d.png

Now, in the last case, if I get rid of the pivot, I believe that energy, momentum, AND angular momentum are conserved.
b58ce966cf4c4e0485e1375f2958f976.png

Can somebody explain the conditions for which energy, momentum, and angular momentum is conserved?

Homework Equations

$KE_i = KE_f$
$p_i = p_f$
$L_i = L_f$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
From my understanding, it's if there are no "external forces" for momentum and angular momentum. I'm not sure about energy. However, for the 2nd case, what "external force" is there? I understand there's some force from the pivot point on the rod, but why would that be "external"? And if that were considered external, why wouldn't the force from the block on the rod be considered as "external" in the 3rd case?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
minimario said:
From my understanding, it's if there are no "external forces" for momentum and angular momentum. I'm not sure about energy.
Momentum is always conserved unless there are external forces acting.
Mechanical energy can change in an isolated system if that system includes non-mechanical energy storage mechanisms (such as energy stored as heat or in chemical substances) or can be lost to heat due to friction or locked away in mechanically deformed materials (perhaps initially as heat which is then radiated away).
However, for the 2nd case, what "external force" is there? I understand there's some force from the pivot point on the rod, but why would that be "external"?
What holds the pin in place? Can you draw a surface around your system (like a Gaussian surface) that includes the pin and everything that supports it?
And if that were considered external, why wouldn't the force from the block on the rod be considered as "external" in the 3rd case?
Because the block is part of your system: You're looking at the block and rod as the system.

By the way, energy need not be conserved if the collision is not perfectly elastic. If the block sticks to the rod or if there is a non-unity coefficient of restitution for the materials there will be energy loss.

minimario said:
where we have a block colliding with a pivoted rod, I know that angular momentum is always conserved.
Only if you take the pivot (or a point on the line through the pivot, parallel to the motion of the block) as the reference axis.

Likes gneill

1. When is energy conserved?

Energy is conserved in a closed system where there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total energy of the system remains constant over time, and can be transformed from one form to another, but cannot be created or destroyed.

2. When is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system where there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum of the system remains constant over time, and can be transferred between objects within the system, but cannot be created or destroyed.

3. When is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system where there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant over time, and can be transferred between objects within the system, but cannot be created or destroyed.

4. How can we tell if energy/momentum/angular momentum is conserved?

We can tell if energy/momentum/angular momentum is conserved by analyzing the system and identifying all external forces/torques acting on it. If there are no external forces/torques, then we can conclude that energy/momentum/angular momentum is conserved.

5. What are some real-life examples of energy/momentum/angular momentum conservation?

Some real-life examples of energy conservation include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a roller coaster moving through its track, and a car traveling at a constant speed on a flat road. Examples of momentum conservation include a pool game where the balls bounce off each other, a rocket taking off into space, and a collision between two objects on an ice rink. Angular momentum conservation can be seen in a spinning top, a swinging pendulum, and a figure skater executing a spin on the ice.