1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When should I be converting to units?

1. Dec 16, 2005 #1
    I am new to the forum, and I am sure it will be evident by this first question, but I hope to learn a lot here.

so.. here is what I was thinking about that prompted me to look for a math forum. Say I have (20cm)2. That would be 400 square centimeters, or, 4 square meters? Now, what if I convert to meters before squaring? Then, I have (0.2 m)2, or .04 square meters... 4 square centimeters? Why does this not work? When should I be converting to units? Before or after multiplication.

Thanks for any input.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2005 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

That is because you are making wrong analogies. You need to start with definitions you know for sure. As defined, you have:

100cm = 1 meter.
    If you have 0.2 meters, how many cm do you have?

Now squaring both sides you have:

10000cm^2 = 1 meter^2.

If 1 square meter is 10000 square cm, then how many square cm is 0.04 square meters?

4. Dec 16, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A meter is 100 cm but a square meter is not 100 square cm! In fact, a square meter is (100)2= 10000 square cm.

(20 cm)2= 400 square cm = 400/10000= 0.04 square meters, exactly as if you had squared (0.2 m)2= 0.04 square meters.

5. Dec 16, 2005 #4
    Ah, perfect. I knew there was somthing very simple I was missing.
    Thank you.:tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?