When to see aurora borealis in Lincoln, NE?

• B
  • Thread starter aheight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aurora
In summary, if you are in the area and can see the northern lights, it is possible to see them tonight, but you need to be in an area with less light pollution.
aheight
Hi guys,

I seem to be having problems determining if I can see the northern lights, even just a spec of if it, here in Lincoln tonight. Would someone mind helping me to catch a glimpse of it? How do I determine the time and well I guess I look in the direction of the north star as far as direction right?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The reason I ask is that I'm told it's especially low right now or I may be too late as it was that way a couple of days ago. I'll give it a try. I assume I need a clear sight to the horizon and look directly north. Just wondering when would be the best time or perhaps it's just random.

Last edited:
aheight said:
Hi guys,

I seem to be having problems determining if I can see the northern lights, even just a spec of if it, here in Lincoln tonight. Would someone mind helping me to catch a glimpse of it? How do I determine the time and well I guess I look in the direction of the north star as far as direction right?

Lincoln Nebraska ? I'm assuming

aheight said:
The reason I ask is that I'm told it's especially low right now or I may be too late as it was that way a couple of days ago. I'll give it a try. I assume I need a clear sight to the horizon and look directly north. Just wondering when would be the best time or perhaps it's just random.

Yes, at ~ 41 deg N you are really borderline for viewing them unless it was a large geomagnetic storm.

Spaceweather.com is the best place to keep an eye on for solar activity

get out of the Lincoln and Omaha area to a dark sky area and look to the north
a burst of auroral activity can last from minutes to several hours depending on the geo-storm intensityDave

aheight said:
Hi guys,

If you can see the northernlights from Lincoln, NE, I would be very concerned because it would have to be an exceptionally powerful X-class solar flare or CME for you to see them that far south.

There is an aurora out tonight, but it isn't visible in the lower-48. SpaceWeather.com is a nice site, but I prefer this web site: http://www.ronnmurrayphoto.com/NorthernLights-AuroraCamera/AlaskaAuroraCam

The main image is from a remote cabin just north of Fairbanks on Murphy Dome, but they also have other real-time images of the sun, and a means of measuring the strength of the magnetic storm and solar winds.

Likes aheight
Back in 1991-1992, I saw a spectacular display right here in the middle of the urban area of Rochester, NY - we live about a mile from downtown and this was despite an intense amount of light pollution. At 43.1610° N, we are about 160 miles north from your latitude. In terms of current Geomagnetic coordinates, you are at
49.30N 28.19W while we are at 52.56N 5.88W ( http://wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp/igrf/gggm/) . Still I think, given a very intense incident, it is possible, especially with some darkness to see auroras.

That 1992 display included color and shimmering waves and even brought my neighbors out to marvel at it in our block's pocket park (just outside the shadow of a dozen street lights) I have seen amazing displays on several occasions about 75 miles further to the north and, back in the late 60s and early 70s (with much less light pollution) easily from rural areas 50 miles to the south - nearer to 42° N

Likes davenn

1. When is the best time of year to see the aurora borealis in Lincoln, NE?

The best time to see the aurora borealis in Lincoln, NE is during the winter months, typically from November to March. This is because the nights are longer and darker, providing a better chance to see the aurora. However, it is still possible to see the aurora in other months, especially during periods of high solar activity.

2. What are the ideal weather conditions for viewing the aurora borealis in Lincoln, NE?

The ideal weather conditions for viewing the aurora borealis in Lincoln, NE include clear skies and minimal light pollution. It is important to check the weather forecast and make sure there are no clouds or storms in the area before heading out to see the aurora. Light pollution can also hinder visibility, so it is best to go to a dark and remote location for the best viewing experience.

3. How can I increase my chances of seeing the aurora borealis in Lincoln, NE?

To increase your chances of seeing the aurora borealis in Lincoln, NE, it is recommended to be patient and plan ahead. Keep an eye on the solar activity and weather forecast, and be prepared to travel to a darker location if needed. It is also helpful to have a camera with a long exposure setting to capture the aurora.

4. What is the best time of night to see the aurora borealis in Lincoln, NE?

The best time of night to see the aurora borealis in Lincoln, NE is typically between 10 pm and 2 am. This is when the aurora is usually at its peak and the skies are the darkest. However, it is possible to see the aurora at any time during the night, so it is important to be patient and keep an eye out for any activity.

5. Are there any specific locations in Lincoln, NE that are known for good aurora viewing?

While there are no specific locations in Lincoln, NE that are known for good aurora viewing, it is recommended to go to a dark and remote area away from city lights. Some popular spots for aurora viewing in Nebraska include the Sandhills, Scotts Bluff National Monument, and Fort Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge. It is also advisable to check with local park rangers for any recommended viewing areas.