Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When trouble walked through my door in 4 inch stilettos

1. May 8, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm looking for cheesy fiction lines, like out of pulp fiction novels. Can anyone point me at a site?

cheesypulpfictionlinegenerator.com would be perfect.

And, since anything is possible out their on the web I might as well shoot for the stars... A "taxi driver" slant would be perfect.

"The night was as hot as the grill at a Denny’s. People take cabs when it’s hot."

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2006 #2
    I saw one in the comics a couple of weeks ago. I'll see if I can remember it correctly or butcher it. The comic is Garfield and Jon says something about being as desperate as a monkey in a banana famine. So, you could build on that.
    -
    "..when trouble walked through my door in 4 inch stilettos I cringed. But things were so slow and I was about as desperate as a monkey in a banana famine so..."
    -
    So how about it? Can PFers come up with some good ones?

4. May 8, 2006 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

5. May 8, 2006 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That's great, but what do monkeys and bananas have to do with the dirty downtown streets plied by cabbies?

6. May 8, 2006 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is almost exactly what I'm looking for - I think...

These seem to be quotes spoken by the author, in real life, not narrative cliches in his stories. Or am I using it wrong?

7. May 8, 2006 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Those are biographical quotes. The stuff in his books/movies is even cheesier (exactly what you're looking for), unfortunately I cannot find an online source, maybe you can continue googling for it.

Try sifting through the links here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Spillane

8. May 9, 2006 #7
    Well I guess it depends on the effect that you're after. The monkey in a banana famine line from Garfield really made me laugh. They don't really have anything to do with downtown streets and cabbies. That's why it's kind of funny. That may not be the effect you are after though.

9. May 9, 2006 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

This reminds me of a movie I liked from the early nineties, "Her Alibi" with Tom Selleck. He plays a mystery writer and he throws out a bunch of phrases like that in the movie.

10. May 9, 2006 #9
    I thought you were telling us you tripped on your carpet. :tongue:

11. May 9, 2006 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I've tried every keyword I can think of to Google:

detective pulp fiction cliche cheesy metaphor simile

Mostly, I get either simile stuff or detective stuff, but not both.

12. May 9, 2006 #11
    Look up the phrase "Film Noir" this is the style you're talking about.

13. May 9, 2006 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

14. May 9, 2006 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, yes, but I'm not looking for story or visual cliches, I'm looking for narrative cliches .i.e. words.

Unless film noir is also a literary genre...

Or, I suppose a film noir that's narrated by the character would have the same flavour.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?