When trouble walked through my door in 4 inch stilettos

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 4K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,693
Reaction score
9,084
I'm looking for cheesy fiction lines, like out of pulp fiction novels. Can anyone point me at a site?

cheesypulpfictionlinegenerator.com would be perfect.



And, since anything is possible out their on the web I might as well shoot for the stars... A "taxi driver" slant would be perfect.

"The night was as hot as the grill at a Denny’s. People take cabs when it’s hot."
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I saw one in the comics a couple of weeks ago. I'll see if I can remember it correctly or butcher it. The comic is Garfield and Jon says something about being as desperate as a monkey in a banana famine. So, you could build on that.
-
"..when trouble walked through my door in 4 inch stilettos I cringed. But things were so slow and I was about as desperate as a monkey in a banana famine so..."
-
So how about it? Can PFers come up with some good ones?
 
Averagesupernova said:
I saw one in the comics a couple of weeks ago. I'll see if I can remember it correctly or butcher it. The comic is Garfield and Jon says something about being as desperate as a monkey in a banana famine. So, you could build on that.
-
"..when trouble walked through my door in 4 inch stilettos I cringed. But things were so slow and I was about as desperate as a monkey in a banana famine so..."
-
So how about it? Can PFers come up with some good ones?
That's great, but what do monkeys and bananas have to do with the dirty downtown streets plied by cabbies?
 
Curious3141 said:
You should look up Mickey Spillane (Mike Hammer) quotes. They're pretty much all like this : http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mickeyspil310956.html
This is almost exactly what I'm looking for - I think...

These seem to be quotes spoken by the author, in real life, not narrative cliches in his stories. Or am I using it wrong?
 
DaveC426913 said:
This is almost exactly what I'm looking for - I think...

These seem to be quotes spoken by the author, in real life, not narrative cliches in his stories. Or am I using it wrong?

Those are biographical quotes. The stuff in his books/movies is even cheesier (exactly what you're looking for), unfortunately I cannot find an online source, maybe you can continue googling for it.

Try sifting through the links here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Spillane
 
DaveC426913 said:
That's great, but what do monkeys and bananas have to do with the dirty downtown streets plied by cabbies?

Well I guess it depends on the effect that you're after. The monkey in a banana famine line from Garfield really made me laugh. They don't really have anything to do with downtown streets and cabbies. That's why it's kind of funny. That may not be the effect you are after though.
 
This reminds me of a movie I liked from the early nineties, "Her Alibi" with Tom Selleck. He plays a mystery writer and he throws out a bunch of phrases like that in the movie.
 
..when trouble walked through my door in 4 inch stilettos

I thought you were telling us you tripped on your carpet. :-p
 
I've tried every keyword I can think of to Google:

detective pulp fiction cliche cheesy metaphor simile

Mostly, I get either simile stuff or detective stuff, but not both.
 
Look up the phrase "Film Noir" this is the style you're talking about.
 
Artman said:
Look up the phrase "Film Noir" this is the style you're talking about.
Well, yes, but I'm not looking for story or visual cliches, I'm looking for narrative cliches .i.e. words.

Unless film noir is also a literary genre...


Or, I suppose a film noir that's narrated by the character would have the same flavour.