When Will Earth Be Tidelocked To The Sun?

In summary, the calculation for tidelock between Earth and the Sun is estimated to occur about 5.5 billion years after the formation of the solar system. However, there is some uncertainty as another source suggests it could happen after 480 billion years. This estimate does not factor in the influence of other planets.
Fennelgiraffe
I need to check a calculation for reasonableness. When I plug in the values for Earth and the Sun, I get a rough approximation of tidelock about 5.5 Gy after formation of the solar system. Is that anywhere close to the right answer?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
so we're all going to fry in a billion years? damn, better start pulling out my super...

Astroboy said:
so we're all going to fry in a billion years? damn, better start pulling out my super...

That's also just about the same time the inner edge of the HZ will move beyond Earth's orbit -- give or take a few hundred million years. So things should be getting toasty anyway.

Update: I found another source, with a different formula, and this one comes out to 480 billion years. Now I don't know what to think.

I know it's a very, very rough estimate, because neither version is taking the influence of other planets into consideration. The difference between 5.5 and 4.8 wouldn't bother me a bit--but the factor of 100 is a different story.

What is tidal locking?

Tidal locking is when the same side of a celestial body is always facing its parent body, due to the gravitational forces between them.

Why is Earth not tidelocked to the Sun already?

Earth has a relatively fast rotation speed, completing one rotation in approximately 24 hours. This is much faster than the time it takes for the Sun's gravitational pull to cause tidal locking.

When will Earth be tidelocked to the Sun?

It is estimated that Earth will become tidelocked to the Sun in approximately 50 billion years, when the Sun has expanded into a red giant and engulfed the inner planets.

What effects will tidal locking have on Earth?

If Earth becomes tidelocked to the Sun, one side will always face the Sun and experience constant daylight, while the other side will always face away and experience constant darkness. This could potentially have major impacts on the climate and weather patterns on Earth.

Can tidal locking be reversed?

No, once a celestial body becomes tidelocked, it is unlikely for it to reverse back to its original rotation. However, it is possible for tidal forces from other celestial bodies to disrupt the tidelocking process and cause the body to rotate at a different rate.