Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When Will Earth Be Tidelocked To The Sun?

1. Jun 3, 2008 #1
    I need to check a calculation for reasonableness. When I plug in the values for Earth and the Sun, I get a rough approximation of tidelock about 5.5 Gy after formation of the solar system. Is that anywhere close to the right answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2008 #2
    so we're all gonna fry in a billion years? damn, better start pulling out my super...

4. Jun 4, 2008 #3
    That's also just about the same time the inner edge of the HZ will move beyond Earth's orbit -- give or take a few hundred million years. So things should be getting toasty anyway.

5. Jun 7, 2008 #4
    Update: I found another source, with a different formula, and this one comes out to 480 billion years. Now I don't know what to think.

I know it's a very, very rough estimate, because neither version is taking the influence of other planets into consideration. The difference between 5.5 and 4.8 wouldn't bother me a bit--but the factor of 100 is a different story.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?