Where are charge and spin in Schrodinger's equation?

In summary, Schrodinger's equation is used to determine the probability of finding a particle somewhere and is for spin 0 particles, with spin being added on afterwards. The charge comes into play depending on the potential, such as in a coulomb potential. To write a classical Hamiltonian for a charged particle, you would need to use the Hamiltonian operator and the canonical quantization process. To understand this process, it is recommended to have knowledge of Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, variational math, canonical variables, and four vectors. Books such as Goldstein's "Classical Mechanics" and Susskind's lectures on classical mechanics and special relativity are good resources for this. It should also be noted that the
SamRoss
Gold Member
Schrodinger's equation is what is used to determine the probability of finding a particle somewhere, but where are charge and spin? How do you know if the probability wave you solved for is for a proton or electron or some other particle? I see m in the equation for plugging in mass, but nothing for charge, spin, or anything else. I'm guessing it has something to do with the potential V, but I'm not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
The schrodinger equation is for spin 0 particles. The spin is added on afterwards.

The charge come into play depending on the potential. If the potential between the particles is a coulomb potential, for example, there will be charge terms.

Do you know how to write a classical hamiltonian for a charged particle?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you for your reply. I don't know how to write a Hamiltonian operator. Do you recommend any websites or books?

SamRoss said:
Thank you for your reply. I don't know how to write a Hamiltonian operator. Do you recommend any websites or books?
Before I recommend anything, do you know what canonical quantization is explicitly?

The standard prescription for quantizing mechanics is to write the classical Hamiltonian and to change r and p to their corresponding operators. Is this a familiar process?

Jorriss said:
Before I recommend anything, do you know what canonical quantization is explicitly?

The standard prescription for quantizing mechanics is to write the classical Hamiltonian and to change r and p to their corresponding operators. Is this a familiar process?

I had not heard of canonical quantization before. After looking it up it does indeed seem to be a missing puzzle piece for me and I would like to learn more. Also, no, the process you described is not familiar to me. The closest I've come is David Griffiths' derivation of the position, velocity, and momentum operators in "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics".

Well, a classical Hamiltonian is [itex]H=E_{total}=\frac{P^2}{2m}+V[/itex]
In QM this turns to [itex]\hat{H}=\frac{\hat{P}^2}{2m}+V[/itex], where [itex]\hat{P}=-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{H}=i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex].
So schrodinger's equation is [itex]\hat{H}\psi=\frac{\hat{P}^2}{2m}\psi+V\psi[/itex]
For an electrically charged particle it is: [itex]\hat{P}=-i\hbar(\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{\mu}}-qA_{\mu})[/itex], and remember to add the [itex]\phi q[/itex] to the V term.

For spin, you would have to move on to relativistic QM...
This is covered in Griffiths - Introduction to Elementary Particles, Zee - Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell, and the classic Peskin, An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory.

be warned, before you tackle these books you need to know what a Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are, what variational math is (e.g. what is a functional), what are canonical variables, etc. (this is covered by analytical classical mechanics - best covered IMO in Goldstein, Classical Mechanics).
And you should know what a four vector is and how to handle tensors.

By the way, there is a *very* slow paced introductory course by Leonard Susskind on youtube.
He's very thorough. start here:
If that's too much for you, try his lectures on classical mechanics and special relativity first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
fargoth said:
For spin, you would have to move on to relativistic QM...
This is covered in Griffiths - Introduction to Elementary Particles, Zee - Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell, and the classic Peskin, An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory.
No, not really. The Schrodinger-Pauli Equation cited in #3 above is nonrelativistic.

Bill_K said:
No, not really. The Schrodinger-Pauli Equation cited in #3 above is nonrelativistic.

right, forgot about pauli :)

1. What is the significance of charge and spin in Schrodinger's equation?

The charge and spin terms in Schrodinger's equation represent the fundamental properties of particles in quantum mechanics. Charge refers to the electric charge of a particle, while spin refers to its intrinsic angular momentum. These properties play a crucial role in determining the behavior and interactions of particles in quantum systems.

2. How are charge and spin related in Schrodinger's equation?

In Schrodinger's equation, charge and spin are represented by different mathematical terms and are treated as separate properties. However, they are closely related as the spin of a particle can affect its charge and vice versa. This relationship is known as spin-orbit coupling and is important in many quantum systems.

3. Can charge and spin be measured separately in Schrodinger's equation?

In quantum mechanics, it is not possible to measure both the charge and spin of a particle simultaneously with absolute precision. This is due to the principles of quantum uncertainty, which state that certain complementary properties of a particle cannot be known simultaneously. Therefore, in Schrodinger's equation, charge and spin can only be described probabilistically.

4. How does Schrodinger's equation account for the magnetic properties of particles?

The spin term in Schrodinger's equation is responsible for the magnetic properties of particles. In quantum mechanics, spin is often described as the intrinsic magnetic moment of a particle. This means that particles with different spin values will have different magnetic properties, which can be observed in various physical phenomena.

5. Are there any other properties of particles that are included in Schrodinger's equation?

Yes, in addition to charge and spin, Schrodinger's equation also includes terms for mass and position. These properties, along with charge and spin, are used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum systems. However, there may be other properties that are not yet fully understood or included in the equation.