Where are Physics Forums members from?
- Thread starter sganesh88
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
57 replies · 8K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
I came from the same place my mother comes from.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Hi hangover, I've merged your thread with our most recent poll.
Artman
- 1,507
- 41
"Where do you guys come from?"
Well, when a man loves a woman very much...
Oh you mean, what nationality. USA.
Well, when a man loves a woman very much...
Oh you mean, what nationality. USA.
jobyts
- 226
- 60
"Where do you guys come from?"
From Africa, around 2.5 million years ago.
humanino
- 2,538
- 8
Who's that frenchy anyway !?jtbell said:France is in the list, but Germany isn't? Are you trying to re-start the Franco-Prussian War?![]()
rewebster
- 883
- 2
PFians?
PFites?
PFers?
PhyFers?
PFrodites?
PhyFors?
PFites?
PFers?
PhyFers?
PFrodites?
PhyFors?
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
Pffffs.
Artman
- 1,507
- 41
PFfliers.
Remember those?
Remember those?
drizzle
Gold Member
- 202
- 58
jimmysnyder said:Pffffs.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Silent but deadly...jimmysnyder said:Pffffs.
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
I told my doctor I had silent but deadlies and he prescribed a hearing aid.turbo-1 said:Silent but deadly...
haxtor21
- 46
- 0
Where's Romania :) ?
fluidistic
Gold Member
- 3,934
- 286
I hate this question! Many people asks it to me and I do not know the answer.
I was born in Montreal, Canada in 1987. Lived there until I was 4.5 years old. Then I moved to France until I was 15 years old. Then I moved back to Canada until I was 17.5. Then I moved back to France until I was 19. Then I moved to Argentina until now (I'm 23).
When I was living in France, I used to visit my family in Canada for about 3 months/year.
So obviously my reply to your question is "other". I simply don't know where I'm from.
I was born in Montreal, Canada in 1987. Lived there until I was 4.5 years old. Then I moved to France until I was 15 years old. Then I moved back to Canada until I was 17.5. Then I moved back to France until I was 19. Then I moved to Argentina until now (I'm 23).
When I was living in France, I used to visit my family in Canada for about 3 months/year.
So obviously my reply to your question is "other". I simply don't know where I'm from.
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
fluidistic said:I simply don't know where I'm from.
We'll claim you for Canada unless you become an embarrassment, whereupon we will dump you on Argentina.
Last edited:
- 20,002
- 11,121
Here are top ten countries of PF visitors:
1. United States
2. United Kingdom
3. Canada
4. India
5. Australia
6. Philippines
7. Germany
8. Malaysia
9. Singapore
10. Netherlands
1. United States
2. United Kingdom
3. Canada
4. India
5. Australia
6. Philippines
7. Germany
8. Malaysia
9. Singapore
10. Netherlands
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,697
- 9,101
fluidistic said:I hate this question! Many people asks it to me and I do not know the answer.
I was born in Montreal, Canada in 1987. Lived there until I was 4.5 years old. Then I moved to France until I was 15 years old. Then I moved back to Canada until I was 17.5. Then I moved back to France until I was 19. Then I moved to Argentina until now (I'm 23).
When I was living in France, I used to visit my family in Canada for about 3 months/year.
So obviously my reply to your question is "other". I simply don't know where I'm from.
On the contrary, it is plain that you know a great deal about where you come from.
It is the poll that is ambiguous about what it means to come from somewhere.
So, which place do you most identify with?
fluidistic
Gold Member
- 3,934
- 286
Yeah good idea. :)Danger said:We'll claim you for Canada unless you become an embarrassment, whereupon we will dump you on Argentina.![]()
Good question. Either France or Canada. I don't feel a stranger in both countries so my best answer would be both Canada and France.DaveC426913 said:On the contrary, it is plain that you know a great deal about where you come from.
It is the poll that is ambiguous about what it means to come from somewhere.
So, which place do you most identify with?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
Greg Bernhardt said:Here are top ten countries of PF visitors:
1. United States
2. United Kingdom
3. Canada
4. India
5. Australia
6. Philippines
7. Germany
8. Malaysia
9. Singapore
10. Netherlands
Greg, does your data come close to matching what's shown in the poll, as far as frequency?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Comparisons of traffic demographics :
Some differences between the two measurements:
1. visitors vs members
2. PF demographics vs GD demographics
I think GD tends to have more natural English speakers as non-native English users may not be as much at ease in shooting the breeze (no rhyme intended).
Code:
Alexa Ranking Poll Numbers (from this thread)
1. United States 29.3% 1. United States 48%
2. India 19.4% 2. India 8%
3. United Kingdom 6.0% 2. United Kingdom 8%
4. Pakistan 4.3% 4. Australia 7%
5. Australia 3.3% 4. Canada 7%
6. Canada 3.2% 6. Norway 3%
7. China 2.4% 7. China 3%
Ref: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/physicsforums.com
Some differences between the two measurements:
1. visitors vs members
2. PF demographics vs GD demographics
I think GD tends to have more natural English speakers as non-native English users may not be as much at ease in shooting the breeze (no rhyme intended).
rootX
- 481
- 4
Gokul43201 said:Comparisons of traffic demographics :
Code:Alexa Ranking Poll Numbers (from this thread) 1. United States 29.3% 1. United States 48% 2. India 19.4% 2. India 8% 3. United Kingdom 6.0% 2. United Kingdom 8% 4. Pakistan 4.3% 4. Australia 7% 5. Australia 3.3% 4. Canada 7% 6. Canada 3.2% 6. Norway 3% 7. China 2.4% 7. China 3% Ref: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/physicsforums.com
Some differences between the two measurements:
1. visitors vs members
2. PF demographics vs GD demographics
I think GD tends to have more natural English speakers as non-native English users may not be as much at ease in shooting the breeze (no rhyme intended).
In addition, countries like Japan have most of their websites in Japanese.
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
Clever, but unfortunately inaccurate. Quebec is to France what Mexico is to Spain. (Aside from it being a province rather than a country, despite some fanatical attempts to the contrary.)Astronuc said:How about a compromise -- Quebec?![]()
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,697
- 9,101
Thus, theDanger said:Clever, but unfortunately inaccurate.
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
DaveC426913 said:Thus, the![]()
I got the joke, but was just clarifying for others who might not know better. I probably should have used a (
mugaliens
- 197
- 1
The distribution is roughly what I expected, except for India, nearly as high as the UK and Australia/NZ. That was a surprise.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
I think the numbers from India are due to:mugaliens said:The distribution is roughly what I expected, except for India, nearly as high as the UK and Australia/NZ. That was a surprise.
i) Fair bit of importance given to Math and Science in school, like many other countries in Asia, but also
ii) Reasonable exposure to communicating in English, not to mention
iii) There are a LOT of people in India!
Similar threads
- Albertus Magnus
- · Replies 5 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 5
- Azure Ace
- · Replies 27 ·
- Science and Math Textbooks
- Replies
- 27
- Poll
- fresh_42
- · Replies 12 ·
- Beyond the Standard Models
- Replies
- 12
- doglover9754
- · Replies 16 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 16
- WWGD
- · Replies 3 ·
- Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
- Replies
- 3
- Borek
- · Replies 35 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 35
- member 428835
- · Replies 4 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 4
- Greg Bernhardt
- · Replies 27 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 27
- ZapperZ
- · Replies 5 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 5
- Sticky
Announcement
Easy ways you can support Physics Forums
- Greg Bernhardt
- · Replies 102 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 102