Pattonias said:
I hope you understand that what you just said was in contradiction with our standard rules of engagement and also implies that the Army or US military was telling you to break the Geneva Convention. I know for a fact that this is not the instructions given to our soldiers overseas. Your commander or someone who was briefing you may have said this, but you could be held liable for actually behaving like this in combat. I just want to make it clear that saying these kinds of things in a public forum make the US military and yourself appear unprofessional.
Even though I am very proud of my service, I'm more interested in telling the truth about my experiences, rather than making the military look good. I have my own opinions about the professionalism of the U.S. Army, and that opinion has not been improved my the pathetic pandering to the anti-war crowd.
As for breaking the Geneva Conventions—you are absolutely wrong. People who are not officially part of a recognized states military and are not uniformed have absolutely no protections under the Geneva Convention.
Our Rules of Engagement changed a few times, but for the most pat we were instructed to allow combatants to surrender even if they weren't strictly qualified to receive that right under the Geneva Conventions. That's why I threw that line in there about not killing them fast enough. It was a little joke we had in the infantry that if you took a prisoner you had done poorly—as in you should have killed him before he even could think of surrendering.
Oh- in my Zeal, I forgot my main point. We of course were never told to specifically kill anyone, with the singular exception of Bin Laden. Even that was more Braggadocio then anything. None of us were actually hunting Bin Laden, but we'd all laugh and talk about what we'd do to him if we found him. Decapitation with a subsequent carrying around of the head by the beard was pretty popular. Whether anyone of us would have done it if we had found him—well, I guess we'll never know.
As for the whole "better a corpse than a prisoner" thing—we were not told to execute them or any such thing. We were basically told not to go out of our way to encourage surrender. If they wanted to go down fighting, less hassle for us.
And if you think that theses sorts of things don't happen in the U.S. military, then you're mistaken. Maybe the people you know weren't in combat positions, but in the Units I was in, we sang songs about killing terrorists while we ran.
And there are no "Standard Rules of Engagement." The RoE changes quite often.