Where Are the Different Types of Plate Boundaries Found?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Plate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
63

Homework Statement



1. I would like you to find and describe an area of the world for each of the types of plate boundary combinations introduced in class today (you should have 4 total locations):

(1) Ridge-Fault

(2) Fault-Trench (fault on concave side of trench)

(3) Fault-Trench (fault on convex side of trench)

(4) Ridge-Trench
xid-49546718_2.jpg

Ridge = Red
Trench = Blue
Transform = green.

2. Once you have made a plot of global plate boundaries, I would like you to find and describe an area of the world for each of the types of plate boundary combinations introduced in class today (you should have 3 total locations):

(1) Ridge-Fault-Ridge
(2) Ridge-Fault-Trench
Since there are two types of case (2), describe whether the fault should be growing, or shrinking.
(3) Trench-Fault-TrenchSince there are three types of case (3), describe whether the fault should be growing, shrinking, or remaining the same size. Record your answers below:

Homework Equations



N/a, or at least, nothing relevant that I know of here.

The Attempt at a Solution



For 1. :
Ridge = Red
Trench = Blue
Transform = green.

1) Ridge Fault --> Mid Ocean Ridge East of North America
2) Fault-Trench (fault on concave side of trench) --> South Africa where blue and green mix.
3) Fault-Trench (fault on convex side of trench) --> South of South America where blue and green mix
4) Ridge-Trench --> south of India where red and blue mix

For 2. :
1) Red-green-Red (Ridge-Fault-Ridge) is located in the middle of the Atlantic (The Mid Ocean Ridge).
2) Ridge-Fault-Trench (Red-Green-Blue) is located

Well, and here's where I am confused. This material is rather new to us(class) me, so bare with me. Your help/guidance is appreciated.

My questions:
1) Is my answer for 1 correct? How can I tell what is a concave or convex side of trench?
2) How do I go about this problem? In my attempt at 2 I was noting that Red-green-red meant Ridge-Fault-Ridge, but I can't seem to really go further here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A friendly bump to see if anyone has any links or PDF files describing anything in relation to this study.