Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Where are the Higgs particles?

1. May 1, 2016 #1
    I've been reading Jim Baggott's book "Higgs -- The Invention and Discovery of the 'God Particle' "and have a rather elementary question, easily answered, I'm sure, by folk that contribute to this forum: is the Higgs only associated with the inner machinations of other 'elementary' particles, or can such entities exist on their own, as it were, dispersed in what appears to be the empty voids of inter- (planetary, stellar, galactic space)?

Is it a widely discussed candidate for dark mass/energy; if so, I'd appreciate web references that I could turn to.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They can exist on their own, they are produced in high-energetic collisions - both naturally and in the LHC. They are extremely short-living, so they decay extremely quickly again.

The Higgs particle is irrelevant for all the particles around us. It is the Higgs field that leads to their mass.
    No. Way too short-living (like 40 orders of magnitude too short).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted