Where can I find a good account of functional methods in QFT?

In summary, QFT is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles at a fundamental level. Functional methods refer to mathematical techniques used to solve equations and perform calculations in QFT, which are important for making precise predictions about particle behavior and interactions. There are several textbooks and online resources available for learning about functional methods in QFT, such as "Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians" by Robin Ticciati and "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by Anthony Zee. These methods can be applied to a wide range of QFT theories and developing a good understanding of them requires a strong foundation in mathematics and quantum field theory, as well as practice and further study.
simon.wang
I'd like to be as familiar with functional methods as with calculus. Otherwise I always fell not to grasp QFT comprehensively.

Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a very good Dover book by Schulman called "Techniques and Applications of Path Integration". It's pretty thorough and has most of the stuff about functional methods you might need, at least from the theory standpoint.

Thank you very much.

:!)

Related to Where can I find a good account of functional methods in QFT?

1. What is QFT and why are functional methods important in it?

QFT, or quantum field theory, is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles at a fundamental level. Functional methods refer to mathematical techniques used to solve equations and perform calculations in QFT. These methods are important because they allow us to make precise predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. Where can I find a comprehensive account of functional methods in QFT?

There are several textbooks and online resources that provide a detailed account of functional methods in QFT. Some popular choices include "Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians" by Robin Ticciati and "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by Anthony Zee.

3. Are there any online lectures or tutorials on functional methods in QFT?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about functional methods in QFT. Some popular choices include the online lectures by Leonard Susskind on "Quantum Field Theory" and the video tutorials by David Tong on "Quantum Field Theory".

4. Can functional methods be applied to all areas of QFT or are they specific to certain theories?

Functional methods can be applied to a wide range of theories in QFT, including both relativistic and non-relativistic theories. They are particularly useful for calculating correlation functions and scattering amplitudes, but can also be used for other purposes such as studying phase transitions and vacuum structure.

5. How can I develop a good understanding of functional methods in QFT?

Developing a good understanding of functional methods in QFT requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a solid understanding of quantum field theory. It is recommended to start with introductory textbooks on quantum field theory and then move on to more specialized texts on functional methods. It can also be helpful to work through practice problems and attend lectures or seminars on the topic.