Where Can I Find a Map of Our Galaxy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter The Bob
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Map
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
The Bob
Messages
1,127
Reaction score
0
Hey all,

I'm writing a piece of music for a competition in England and it requires a map of our galaxy. I've written off to NASA but I suspect I am not going to get any joy from them.

In short, does anyone know where I can get a map of our galaxy from? It needs to show the position of the more dominant features, if possible.

Cheers,

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. After this message I'm afraid I am away so I will not be able to check the PF until Sunday 8th July.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Having a map of our galaxy is like having a map of a beach that shows each sand grain - clearly impossible. Having the general shape of our 'beach' is possible. One spiral galaxy looks mostly like any other - seach for Hubble Images for some impresive photos.

The best looking 'map' of our part of the galaxy is a Milky Way panorama which shows a crab's eye view of our part of the 'beach'. See http://home.arcor-online.de/axel.mellinger/mwpan_aitoff.html for such a photo.
 
Heya both,

Thanks for the links; some nice pictures. :biggrin:

Let me explain quickly why I need a 'map'. The idea of the composition is to travel around the milky way, starting in our solar system, working our way around and arriving back home in time for tea. I want a map so that I can get images of specific bodies or areas in our galaxy and ensure that I'm going around in a feasible direction (sad as that is). The problem is I don't know what I want to include in the piece and, so, how many bodies I need.

Maybe a map of the main features would be better.

Anyway, thanks again.

The Bob (2004 ©)
 
Nice pictures. Cheers all... keep them coming!

The Bob (2004 ©)
 
Last edited: