Where in STEM can I expect to use dual basis, dual map, annihilator?

zenterix
I find the topics of dual space, dual basis, dual map, and annihilator quite abstract.

I understand the proofs in the book I am reading (Linear Algebra Done Right), and I can solve problems. But after a few weeks without doing any linear algebra I forget what these concepts are and the reason is that I haven't seen them in other subjects in the past and I don't see them in any other subject that I am currently studying (thermodynamics, special relativity, differential equations, electromagnetism).

Where in STEM can I expect to see these linear algebra topics used?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dual spaces and dual bases are used in differential forms, tensors, QM, GR.

Likes zenterix
In general: differential geometry, tensor algebra, i.e. everywhere in physics. You are right, the concept is mathematically a bit boring if you only consider finite-dimensional vector spaces with an inner product. This changes if you look at the correspondence of tangent vectors and derivations on ##C^\infty (\mathbb{R}^n)##,
$$
v\longleftrightarrow \left(v(f)=\left. \dfrac{d}{dt}\right|_{t=0}f(p+tv)\right)
$$
or investigate the computational complexity of bilinear multiplications,
$$
(x,y) \longmapsto \operatorname{min}\left\{r\, \left| \,x\cdot y =\sum_{\rho=1}^r u_\rho(x)v_\rho(y)W_\rho \right.\right\}
$$
or simply try to understand what a ##(2,1)##-tensor is.

1. What areas in STEM utilize the concept of a dual basis?

The concept of a dual basis is primarily used in mathematics and physics, particularly in the fields of linear algebra, functional analysis, and quantum mechanics. In linear algebra, dual bases are crucial for understanding vector spaces and their functional counterparts. In physics, they are used in the study of spacetime in general relativity and in various quantum field theories.

2. How is the dual map applied in practical scenarios within STEM fields?

The dual map finds its application in several STEM areas, including differential geometry and systems theory. In differential geometry, it is used to relate different types of tensor fields, which are essential for describing the curvature and topology of manifolds. In systems theory, dual maps are important for analyzing and optimizing control systems, helping to determine system stability and performance.

3. Can you explain the concept of an annihilator and where it is used in STEM?

An annihilator in mathematics refers to a set of functionals in a dual space that all return zero when applied to any vector in a given subset of a vector space. This concept is widely used in linear algebra to study subspaces and their orthogonal complements. It's also applicable in solving systems of linear equations, optimization problems, and in the study of orthogonal projections in Hilbert spaces.

4. What role does the dual basis play in computational fields?

In computational fields, particularly in computer graphics and numerical methods, the dual basis is used to simplify and solve matrix equations and transform problems from one vector space to another. This is critical in algorithms for image processing, simulation of physical systems, and in the development of computer-aided design (CAD) software, where transformations of geometric data are frequent.

5. Are there any emerging technologies or research areas where dual maps and annihilators are becoming more relevant?

Yes, emerging technologies in machine learning and data science are beginning to utilize concepts like dual maps and annihilators, especially in areas like neural networks, optimization algorithms, and big data analytics. These mathematical tools are used to enhance the efficiency of algorithms, particularly in high-dimensional data spaces, and to develop new methods for data representation and feature extraction.